Chapter 54 - New Year

In the living room long after everyone ate dinner, Sheja sat on the couch with Leena and Rosalie on each side of her, and Maddie sat on the table in front of them. As they giggled and talked among themselves, Twyn and Ily were in the kitchen packing up a basket of light snacks and drinks, and Cerno was gathering blankets and candles.

"I think we have everything we need. Shall we all head up to the hilltop?" Cerno asked, counting the blankets one more time to make sure he grabbed enough for everyone.

"Let's go," Sheja said happily, tilting her head backward to look up at her brother as he stepped up behind her.

"Would you like me to carry you?" he asked, gently placing his hands on her shoulder.

"Please. And Twyn can carry Leena," she replied graciously.

"I can walk," Leena argued.

"You might feel a lot better but I refuse to let you walk up that hill until you're just one human again, not three," Twyn said. "If you want to feel helpful though, get off your pregnant tushy so I can pick you up easier. Rose can stack a few blankets on top of you to carry if you still don't feel helpful enough."

The other ladies laughed as Leena rolled her eyes but she climbed to her feet and almost immediately squeaked as Twyn effortlessly scooped her up. She too started laughing and wrapped her arms around Twyn's shoulders as he danced a bit with her cradled in his arms.

"Your turn," Cerno said, walking to the front of the couch and lifting his sister from the cushions. "Ready to go, Yaya? The fireworks should be pretty spectacular this year."

Sheja chuckled and nodded. Her smile stretched ear to ear with the heightened spirits in the room, even with her drab situation.

"Here, a couple blankets for you to carry, too," Rose teased, tossing two folded blankets on top of Sheja.

"Yay, I'm helping!" she laughed.

As they headed up the dark path to the hilltop, Sheja could see figures moving around in the darkness at the top. After the funeral, Cerno had the area turned into a park and several other people had the realization of how great the view would be up here too.

Twyn set Leena down and was quick to get tarps and initial blankets laid down on the snow-covered grounds. After helping Cerno get Leena and Sheja both settled comfortably and wrapped in blankets, he assisted Ilyana in lighting some of the candles to make their little area feel a little warmer and cozy.

After a little while, others joined their little group like Lydia's and Kurt's families. Even Salashai's family and Vaughn made their way up to join them.

"The city is always so beautiful from up here," Sheja said softly as she leaned sideways against Leena and stared out at the sparkling lights below.

"Need some help?" Twyn said as he sat down behind Sheja. He rearranged themselves to have her on his lap and leaned her back against him so she could sit up without struggle. Ily sat on his other side and chuckled when he leaned over to her, whispered something only she could hear, and then kissed her affectionately.

As midnight finally arrived and lead the night into a brand-new year, fireworks lit up the skies above Saorsa with beautiful sparks of every color. Each of the couples found their greatest love and started the new year with a passionate kiss, and a few people even started singing together somewhere in the park.

"I love you, Leenasera," Sheja said softly, touching her forehead to Leena's after their own shared kiss. "Forever."

"I love you, too," Leena whispered as she leaned up against Sheja, taking her hand and giving it a soft squeeze.