Chapter 51 - The Truth

"We gave him a sedative, Master Cerno," Vaughn informed as he lead the three down to the underground prison. "Once we're inside, we can move him out of his cell so Maddie can work."

As they stepped off the elevator and into the corridor, Maddie wrapped her arms around herself a little tighter as the unnerving feeling returned. "I hate it down here," she muttered quietly.

"The sensation takes getting used to," Vaughn replied. "My first several months working down here was pretty stressful. But remembering that we are outside of the cells is the only reason any of us were able to get past that feeling."

"That does help a little," Maddie said, her voice still quiet.

"We're right here with you, Madds. Neither Cer nor myself are leaving your side this time," Rosalie assured her sister.

The three stood back as Vaughn and a few other guards moved Jhonnis from his magic-proof cell out to an interrogation room. It was much like the one Maddie had used her source on Salashai in but this room was slightly bigger.

"He's all yours, Maddie," Vaughn said as the last strap was tightened, keeping Jhonnis completely motionless against the table in case the sedatives were to wear off. He stepped back into the corner, standing next to where Cerno and Rosalie had taken a seat. He looked around to the other guards as they took position in the other corners of the room.

Instead of standing at Jhonnis' side and placing her hand on his chest, Madeleine stood at the end of the table and placed her hands along the sides of his head. She closed her eyes and stood silent for several moments.

"You've changed your entry zone?" Vaughn asked. "Normally Seers find one entry zone and stick to it."

"Not everyone can be read the same," she replied without looking up. "The heart says a lot and the palm will tell your story, too. But he's going to try block me from seeing anything so this is the best point of entry for him."

"I must warn you, the images you see from him are most likely going to be incredibly difficult," Cerno advised. "Please rest whenever you see fit, but it's going to be most imperative that you finish."

"I understand," she answered. She took a deep breath and focused, the images of his life rewinding further and further back in time. As the images begin to play forward again, she focused on her breathing to keep herself steady.

He wakes up instantly and yells out in agony, every inch of his skin feeling like it's on fire.

"Lay still, Jhon, let me heal you!" the woman yells at him as she tries to push him back down onto his back.

As the warmth spreads over him, the pain begins to fade away and he breathes heavily. "Where am I?"

"You are in my home," she answers. "There. I can't do anything about the scaring, but I've healed you from the burns and the rot."

"Burns? Rot?" Jhon sat up and looked at his hands and body, seeing the scars across his flesh. Suddenly he could remember his daughter causing a blast before everything went dark. "What happened?" he asked.

"Your daughter murdered you, along with Sayla and others. You and Sayla were killed instantly though, while the others died in the fire Sheja's actions caused. Your body was burned, and you had been buried."

He looked up at the woman and after studying her face and that she had resurrected him, he realized who she was. "How long have I been dead, Edna?"