Chapter Four: Modification

The next day began, we picked Steve up and began our journey to a secret hideout - where the project was being held

The next day began, we picked Steve up and began our journey to a secret hideout - where the project was being held. Steve sat between Agent Carter and myself, his eyes cocking through the windows as we drove down the road.

"I know this neighbourhood," Steve announced to us, knowing where the drive we were taking. "I got beat up in that alley," Steve pointed out of the right hand window as we passed an alleyway. "And that parking lot," he pointed out as we passed a parking lot. "And behind that diner," he brought his head back into the car, looking down at the floor.

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy spoke up, looking straight ahead and not turned to look at Steve. I noticed Steve shake his head at Peggy's comment.

"You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right?" Steve explained his situation to us, as I nodded softly agreeing with his statement.

"We know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face," Peggy states, bringing me into this as we were women, women who were not as strong as men, and sometimes we don't have a choice.

"I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the Army if you were both a beautiful dame," Steve states, making me cock my head to him, raising an eyebrow. "Or a... Women. Agents. Not a dame. You are both beautiful, but..." Steve cocked his head between Peggy and I, not sure how to handle this situation.

"You have no clue how to talk to women," I joked with Steve, as he laughed softly to me.

"I think this is the longest conversation I've had with two," Steve states to us, which made me look straight ahead, hiding my smirk. "Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on," Steve stared straight to the ground, as my smile faded as I felt for him.

"You must have danced," Peggy retorted as he must have danced once in his life.

"Well, asking a woman to dance always seemed so terrifying. And the past few years, it just didn't seem to matter that much. I figured I'd wait," Steve explained, making me twist my head back to the left.

"For what?" I questioned, wondering what he was waiting for. I also noticed Peggy cock her head to the right, to also look at Steve.

"The right partner," he replied, making me flash my eyebrows up for a moment, taking my eyes to Peggy, who was smiling at his comment. Steve was a great person, and a woman would be so lucky to have him in their life.

The drive to the Brooklyn Antiques store came to an end, as the car pulled up outside of the store. Once it finished pulling up, I opened the door as it opened outwards, my heels touched the concrete of the pathway. Steve came out second, staring out to a local shop that wasn't the Antique as he had no idea which one we needed to go in. Peggy now stepped out of the car, eyeing up Steve for a moment.

"This way," she slammed the car door shut, and began to walk towards the Antique store. I was at the back of Steve as he eyed up the store.

"What are we doing here?" He asked, wondering what we were doing at an antique store.