Chapter Twelve: Team Assembled

Steve had his own team in mind, and he met them at a local pub, as they were swinging their beer down them like there was no tomorrow

Steve had his own team in mind, and he met them at a local pub, as they were swinging their beer down them like there was no tomorrow. I watched from the bar stool I was currently on, watching from a distance like a stalker would do. I was still in my army uniform as I came here straight after work. Steve was chatting with his army buddies that he also rescued from the Hydra base. I turned on the stool, grabbing a small glass of whiskey, filled with a few ice cubes.

"So, let's get this straight,"

"We barely got out of there alive, and you want us to go back?" Mister Gabe Jones added to the back end of Dugan's comment.

"Pretty much," Steve replied, eyeing up the candidates for his team.

"Sounds rather fun, actually," Mister Falsworth commented, his British voice came through strongly. The man to the right belches strongly, as he finished drinking his paint of beer.

"I'm in," he agreed with Steve's plan of teaming up and fighting the enemy.

"Moi je combattrai jusqu'a le dernier que ses bâtards sont morts, enchaîné, ou bien pleur comme un petit bébé," Dernier spoke in French fluently, which I understood completely. I chuckled to myself, as the words Dernier spoke tickled me for some odd reason.

"J'espère tous les trois," Gabe fluently spoke to the table.

"Moi aussi," Dernier replied back to Gabe, before giving him a handshake laughing at one another, before cocking their gazes around the table which held confusion on what they were talking about.

"We're in," Gabe spoke for the both of them, allowing the team to know that they were in for the mission.

"Hell, I'll always fight. But you got to do one thing for me," Dugan states, raising his paint of beer to his lips, chugging the beer down him.

"What's that?" Steve asked, eyeing up Dugan as he finished off his beer, placing the glass onto the table, and letting out a refreshing sound.

"Open a tab," he remarked, making all the men laugh at his comment. I couldn't help but snort to myself, as it was typical of fighting man. I was waiting for Peggy to arrive as she wanted to go out after she spoke to Steve. I brought the glass of whiskey to my lips, tipping the glass back as the cool liquid ran down my throat. I could hear the sweet piano playing, and the men began to sing a song out loud. With my enchanted hearing, I could hear through the music and the singing to hear the front door chime open, making me cock around while lowering the glass from my hand and back onto the counter. My eyes connected with Peggy as she walked in, she was wearing a beautiful red dress, with a dark red lipstick on. Her hair was styled wavy, which suited her so well.

The men noticed her and stopped singing to gawk at her, and steal a glance as she walked on by

The men noticed her and stopped singing to gawk at her, and steal a glance as she walked on by. But I stood from the stool, and joined her left side as I interlocked our arms.

"Don't you look beautiful tonight," I leaned into her ear as he walked through the bar, feeling the many eyes of men glance upon us. "Heads are turning," the words rolled off my tongue as we entered through the archway to the other side of the bar. Just in time to see James and Steve stand from the bar stools, and stare at us - but they were mostly staring at Peggy as she was dressed up to the nines.

"Captain," Peggy states, her eyes locked onto Steve.

"Agent Carter," he replied back, while we walked over to them, but I removed my arm from Peggy's as she stood in front of Steve, and I stood next James - who was eyeing me up.

"Ma'am," James announced to me, making me cock a brief smirk to him.

"Howard has some equipment for you to try. Tomorrow morning?" Peggy instructed Steve on his orders for tomorrow.

"Sounds good," he replied, not losing focus on Peggy, but she turned her head to the source of the singing, as I saw Steve steal a glance or two at her - which wasn't wrong for him to do. Peggy was a cracking lady.

"I see your top squad is prepping for duty," Peggy's soft voice rang out through the noise, it was such a heaven to listen to her speak.

"You don't like music?" James questioned, wondering if Peggy liked music or not.

"I do, actually," she spoke but her eyes never left Steve's. "I might even, when this is all over, go dancing," Peggy was a woman who loved to dance, and be in the moment. My time with her was a gift, and I hope I have so much more time with her.

"Then what are we waiting for?" James retorted with his cocky, flirty response. But Peggy wasn't even interested in James, she wasn't even giving him a glance, her eyes were just focused on one man.

"The right partner," Peggy retorted, her eyes still locked on Steve. "0800, Captain," she gave the order once again, before turning and began walking away.

"Yes, ma'am. I'll be there," Steve rushed out, keeping his composure as Peggy left the room.

"Don't be late, Captain. She doesn't like tardiness," I confessed to him, as Peggy wasn't too keen on the lateness. My eyes glazed over to the blue of James who was waiting for me to comment. "Goodbye Mister Barnes," I gave a brief answer to James, who looked disappointed at me for a moment, before I walked from the room into the other to find Peggy waiting for me by the door.

"Got something to tell me," Peggy's voice rang through my ears, making me raise an eyebrow up at her. "Oh come on, I was MI6-"

"I'll stop you right there Agent," I cut Peggy off with a chuckle as I knew where this conversation was going. "Mister Barnes was a one-time thing. Plus he was flirting with you," I brushed off the fact that James was flirting with another woman, I knew he had every right to be, we weren't an item. "But you only have eyes for a certain Captain," I sang out the last word. I could see Peggy begin to blush at my comment, which she was trying to hide. She didn't speak a word but just laughed it off, as we hooked arms once again, leaving the bar behind. Our laughs echoed through the bar, filled with the piano music that played sweetly through the air...

*******