Chapter Seventeen: Village

Nathanial and Kyraila survived their attack by three men in the forest

Nathanial and Kyraila survived their attack by three men in the forest. As the darkness crept in, they stopped the horses and made camp. Fire burned the twigs and branches that Nathanial had gathered. Kyraila made the fire, using two pieces of wood to create friction. The fire burned brightly, embers floated up into the clear night sky. Kyraila was sitting by the fire, her knees tucked to her chest, her arms around her knees, as she was hugging them. She stared deeply into the fire, the oxygen around her fluctuated the flames, but it soothed her.

"Like fire, I see?" Nathanial's husky Scottish voice came through the air, he was very observant as he had to be.

"Oh how inquisitive you are," Kyraila mocked, not even bothering to raise her gaze to look at her companion.

"And how lady-not-like you are. Women would be swooning over me by now," Nathanial was so cocky, and sure of his charm and flirty personality.

"I am not like most women," she retorted, now raising her head up to meet the eyes of Nathanial, staring through the fire.

"Do you have a dark past or something? Because you are being a bitch," Nathanial didn't hold back, but to him it was a snide comment, and wasn't much to be thought about. Kyraila narrowed her eyes at him, unwrapping herself and stood to her feet.

"And you are a cocky, bandit who thinks out-running his past will be enough-" his eyes flashed worry as he knew she caught on. "You think for one second you can outrun your past, think again," Kyraila blurted out in annoyance, she wanted to trust him, but he had secrets and was lying to her. But she couldn't be too angry at him, she's been lying too. "I like the fight like the next girl, but I like to know who I am fighting," she barged his shoulder, not impressed with him at this moment in time. He took it like a man and chuckled at her response.

"Why not, you are running too," Nathanial shot back at her, making Kyraila stop in her tracks and turn back to face him. "That is why you are all the way out here. Not due to wanting a change of location, because you are running from someone," he was brave enough to speak his mind, he was different from the past men she's met.

"Do not turn this around on me," Kyraila bit back, striding forward, an angry intent laced her eyes. "I was content on my travels alone, but you tried to kill me and then oddly wanted to help me along my travels," she closed the gap between them, he stood taller than her only by a few inches.