Chapter Seven: Angel of Death

Five months had passed since the last contact with Steve

Five months had passed since the last contact with Steve. Agent Carter and I have been busy bees in London, but now we were in Italy - just five miles from the front. I heard what the Senator was getting Steve to do, the shows and the song. He was so much more than a performance monkey, but at least he was doing something productive. I also witnessed the awful performance he had just done, the crowd was eating him up alive and that made me cringe so badly.

The rain poured from the heavens above, puddles formed all around the base, generating that wet soggy mud. My heels clicked against the wooden stage, as I noticed Steve drawing into his notepad. And by luck he was drawing a performance monkey on a unicycle.

"Hello Steve," my voice carried through the air, the rain bounced from the roof above the stage that shielded us both. Steve twisted his head around from his current position on the stairs that led off the back. His expression widened in surprise and shock.

"Hi," he finally spoke, his eyes burning into mine as I offered a small smile. "What are you doing here?" He questioned, as I stepped forward in my uniform, but I had a brown trench coat due to the rain.

"Officially, I'm not. Unofficially, I came to see you," I answered, coming to stand behind Steve as he continued to look up at me, holding that perplex expression. "Don't look too shocked, I aren't the only girl interested in seeing you," I offered a smug smirk, as I cocked my head over the stage to see Peggy rushing on over to the stage, a brown trench coat hovering over her head to protect her from the rain. "Here she comes," I winked at Steve as Peggy came quietly up the steps at the side of the stage, and came onto the wooden platform, noticing Steve and I are already speaking.

"Hello Steve," Peggy's British accent came out, as he was shocked once again as he didn't know Peggy was the second girl wanting to see him.

"What are you doing here?" He repeated the question he asked me mere moments ago.

"Officially, I'm not here at all," Peggy cocked her gaze between her and I, knowing that we were not meant to be here talking to Steve. "That was quite a performance," Peggy states, knowing that the performance was a bit rough and he knew that with our uneasy expressions of the memory.

"Yeah," he began, turning his head away from our gazes. "I had to improvise a little bit. The crowds I'm used to are usually more, uh... Twelve," Steve managed to get his words out, as he was quite ashamed of the performance that he gave the soldiers.

"I understand you're 'America's New Hope',"

"Bond sales take a ten percent bump in every state I visit," Steve replied almost automatically, as if it was programmed into his head.

"Senator Brandt? Is that you?" I teased Steve as to what the Senator had drilled into his head.

"At least he's got me doing this. Phillips would have had me stuck in a lab," Steve remarked, knowing that Phillips would have him placed into a lab and be tested on.