Chapter Five: Man of Heart

I whipped my head back up as the coast was clear, the echo of the blast rang through my ears, but soon faded

I whipped my head back up as the coast was clear, the echo of the blast rang through my ears, but soon faded. My eyes darted to the man who had used the lighter - which was a receiver for a bomb.

"Stop him!" Erskine shouted, as I noticed the man had taken the last vial of the super serum that was used in the project. But Fred pulled a gun free and shot twice at Erskine. A woman's scream echoed through the room. Erskine dropped to the ground, as the man ran up the stairs, however, Peggy was quick and drew her gun, shooting at Fred, hitting him in the arm before he ran out of the doors.

"Come on!" Peggy shouted at me, as I shook off the feeling of guilt and pain, as I had a job to do. I kept up with Peggy as we ran up the metal stairs, and through the double doors, hearing faint gunshots in the distance. As we ran through the corridor, we saw a man shot, being attended too, by another MP. The entrance that we came in was open, the doors wide as we rushed through. The bell of the store rang out, meaning Fred had left, and then shots, but it was a burst meaning it was a machine gun. Peggy and I didn't waste any time waiting, and shot out of the front door to see a car go by - it had a few bullet holes in the glass. Peggy ran out first, coming out into the middle of the road and aimed her handgun down the way.

As I came through the door, an explosion from a nearby car combust, making me raise my arms over my face as I felt the heat from the flames. I felt the shards of glass go over my head, and scatter across the ground. But I adjusted as the flames roared. I swirled my hand as the flames began to die down, the oxygen sucking out, as a shot came ringing out. I cocked my head up to see Peggy smirk - meaning she had hit the car. As I came out, Peggy began to shoot once again, hitting the on-coming car, but was missing Fred who was driving. My eyes flicked between the oncoming car, and Peggy, she wasn't going to move out of the way, she would sacrifice herself to get this bastard. Without even able to react, I felt someone brush by me, and rugby tackled Peggy just in the nick of time before she got hit by the yellow taxi as it zoomed past. I noticed Steve quickly getting back to his feet, as he used his newly-fond abilities to help.

"I had him!" Peggy yelled at him, as she was close to shooting Fred in the head.

"Sorry!" Steve yelled back as he ran off, his voice was that Brooklyn accent as I rushed over and helped Peggy to stand to her feet. We watched as Steve faded from our sights, chasing after Fred.

"Knowing Steve, he'll get him," I assured Peggy of Steve's drive to fight for good, and what he believed in. "Are you alright?" My eyes wandered up and down Peggy, seeing a bit of dirt here and there, but she didn't look like she was in pain.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she replied, her British accent thick, as I offered her a warm smile.

"Good. Don't want my best Agent off duty," I teased her as she rolled her eyes at me, knowing that she didn't like to be called the best. In my books she was. I trust her with my life, and eventually the secret I've been hiding...