Chapter Sixteen: Death, An old Friend

The date with James was a success

The date with James was a success. I retrieved the black and white photograph that the guy took. James told me to keep it, and if I felt lonely just stare at it and I would feel at peace. I also didn't sleep with James, I wanted to savour that for the future. Funny thing the future was... The weeks bled into months, and then into a year. Peggy and I were busy at the SSR removing Hydra bases from the map, as Steve and his team were dealing with them and winning. I also got official written letters from James, he wrote when he could and shared talks about the mission and how everything was going.

I also had a side job to do which was researching this 'woman' who was at the first Hydra base. Though I didn't want to do it, it was my job. Colonel Phillips wanted reports and updates on the matter, I had to feed government official lies and false reports. I couldn't very well come out and say it was me. I told him that the trail went cold, and I couldn't find any more information about this mysterious woman. However, I did tell him I would keep on top of it and correspond with MI6 just in case.

February third came around, and it started like any other day. I got up, dressed, and did my morning routine, but when I walked through those doors to the SSR base, the atmosphere was intense and completely did a one-sixty. Agents were rushing around not in a hurry, but in fanatic. My heels clicked along the ground, my eyes met with Peggy - who was leaning against the war table, waiting and holding an expression I knew too well.

"What's wrong?" I arched my eyebrow, wondering what all the fuss was about, but I already knew. I knew the look of loss on someone's expression. "Someone's dead? Who?" Peggy was kind of taken back by my comment, wondering how the hell I knew all that by one look.

"Karla, I'm so sorry," Peggy's voice was low but soft. My breath hitched as she held out some dog tags to me and I saw the name I dreaded to see. I slowly reached my hand out and grabbed the tags from Peggy, holding the tags up. My eyes closed, forcing the tears that were going to swell up from stopping. I rubbed the metal of the tags with my thumb, feeling his name engraved into the metal. I reopened my eyes to stare at the dog tags. "He fell from the train. Steve did all he could," Peggy was being very gentle with me, like I was a fragile china doll. But love, a family wasn't going to be in the cards for me.

"Thank you," was the only words I could muster up to her. I sounded like a mouse, not even making eye contact with her. I shook my head in disbelief.

"Kar-"

"No, don't," I raised my hand up to her, silencing the next words that were going to come from her lips. "I already know what you're going to say. I've heard it a million times," I clutch the dog tags into my palm. "Oh god, Steve," my mind went to Steve as he was his best friend, he should be the one holding these, not me. "He should have these," I held out the tags to Peggy, but she shook her head to me.

"Steve wanted you to have them," Peggy's words were soft once again, she was being a supportive friend. "He knew you and Barnes were close. He couldn't stop himself from talking about you," I couldn't help but chuckle at the thought, James gushing to his best friend about his crush.