18| 𝘸𝘩𝘺 𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘦

/𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘥/

𝚜𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚎 𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

"Hey Siri, how do you help someone who fainted from shock?"

Science is weird.

"Hi James. There are 102 results for 'How do you help someone who fainted from shock?'"

I felt a warm hand caress my face.

"Her breathing seems to be fine,"

Sparks.

I let out a shaky breath.

"Should we call 911?"

Through science there's supposed to be an answer for everything.

"And tell them what? That she passed out from seeing a werewolf?"

A werewolf?

My eyes shot open and i sat up, quickly shoving myself back into bed. With my head pounding, I dizzily looked around and recognized my room in James' lakehouse. Standing near the end of the bed was Nina, who was nervously biting her fingernails. James was by the door with a serious expression on his face as he scrolled through his phone.

Alexander was sitting on the edge of the bed, closest to me, his eyebrows furrowed in concern and his hands resting on the bed.

I didn't realize I was shaking until I looked down at my hands.

You know, when thinking about it, asking if science can explain everything is such a paradox. It's a slippery topic with numerous twists and turns.

My father was a scientist - a biochemist. He would come home from his lab and tell me everything he found out, everything he knew, and explained it all to me. It was in those enlightening breakfast conversations and midnight rambles where the child like curiosity within me began to dwindle.

From then on I thought everything could be explained through science. So I stopped looking for answers and turned to a textbook instead. I suppose my father was the reason I tried to scrutinize everything around me and desperately tried to find connections between what was happening around me and what was happening in a text book.

It kept me grounded.

And after my father died, I desperately needed something to keep me grounded.

So naturally, when things don't actually have any answers, I make it have answers. It's what anyone else would do.

That was one weird dream.

People are scared of the unknown and when it can't be explained, they find an explanation for it.

I mean, seriously. Werewolves?

It's a weird habit of people to pretend they know what's going on and instead of coming to terms with the fact that they really don't.

And me? Hiking up a mountain?

Comical, really.

Inconceivable.

"Corvina, it's okay," I heard Nina say quietly.

My eyes went to her and a confused expression made its way to my face. They can't know about my dream. Can they?

I looked to Alexander, who was looking down at me, softly.

"What's going on?" I whispered. It was a general question for everyone in the room, but from the outside view it would look like it was only directed towards him. Alexander gave a pointed look to both Nina and James and, reluctantly, they left the room.