28| 𝘢 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦

𝚜𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚎 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝

ᴀʟᴇxᴀɴᴅᴇʀ's ᴘ. ᴏ. ᴠ.

-eight years ago-

I liked working in my father's office. It was better than doing homework in my room, where I would just sit at my desk and stare at the wall straight ahead. I mean, I'd get my work done eventually, but working in his office made it easier for some reason. Right now I was sitting in the brown leather chair across from my father who was also sitting. He had a lot of papers scattered all over his desk.

One day my desk will look like that too.

My dad likes it when I work in his office too. He always tells me that when I take over I have to be prepared. He hasn't told me much so far, only that I need to focus on school and try to do really well. I have to do really well.

I heard the door open behind me but I didn't bother looking up. I have to finish the book I was reading by tomorrow, but so far I don't really like it. It's so sad. Whoever wrote "The Bridge to Terabithia" needs a hug. I just want to watch the movie because it would be easier and take less time but, as I said before, my dad needs me to do well in school. He says that if I'm going to be Alpha one day I have to be smart, smarter than everybody else.

But he also said we have to be open to criticism. When I asked him why he just let out a long sigh that seemed to go on forever.

I just don't get it.

If I'm better and smarter, why do I need to listen to everybody else?

"Jacob," the voice behind me said.

I looked up from my book to my father with wide eyes. He only lets very few people call him by his first name, but surprisingly he didn't seem angry. I looked back to my book again, but I couldn't concentrate on the words.

My father looked up from his desk and nodded at the visitor. "Mark," my father greeted, while standing up. Suddenly, my father's eyes turned towards me.

"Step outside Alexander." My father commanded from behind his desk. I looked up at him from my book. He was leaning onto his knuckles, resting on them so they turned white. He was staring at me, waiting for me to go. I looked from him to the imposing man standing behind me.

I recognized him from before. He was Dr. Choi. There was nothing too special about his appearance, just some of the blackest hair I had ever seen and he was surprisingly tall. Not taller than my father though.

I didn't know what exactly he did but I always saw him carrying a thick leather bound notebook and he always wore thick black glasses. He was a nice man and always said hi to me when he saw me. One time he told me daughter made chocolate chip cookies and he gave me one a while ago.

They weren't that good.

I nodded my head and got up from my seat. I left the room, closing my father's office door behind me. I looked between my book and the large mahogany door.

Should I do my homework or listen?

Eavesdrop.

Definitely.

I sat down and crossed my legs, pressing my ear to the door.

"People are getting restless, Mark. Please tell me you've made progress." I heard my father's voice.

Dr. Choi let out a tired breath.

"It's hard to say so. I need to run more tests, but there are no more subjects."