20| 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘶𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

/𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘥/

𝚜𝚌𝚎𝚗𝚎 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢

𝗔𝗹𝗲𝘅𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿'𝘀 𝗣. 𝗢. 𝗩.

Dad: Any updates?

I stared at the text. I wasn't sure how to tell them there were more than we thought there were. A lot more.

And they were everywhere.

Even here.

I had told him.

I thought it was obvious.

Honestly, we had been able to figure out our numbers were wrong just by the increase in human disappearances but my father didn't like being wrong.

No one likes being wrong, but when people are dying, you have to acknowledge it. That's why he sent me up here so he could confirm for himself and not because another pack member, or his son, told him so.

Now it was it his idea to send me up here. And would be seen as his idea to search for threats even though anyone with a brain could have figured it out without all the trouble.

We could have been figuring out solutions to the problem by now.

But no.

I shoved my bag into the back of my car. Bringing Corvina here was a mistake. There were too many risks. She was too exposed, too vulnerable. My dad would have never agreed to let me bring me here. Im not entirely sure what I was thinking when i asked Nina to invite her for me.

Actually, I know exactly what I was thinking.

It just didn't go how I planned.

I just never thought I would have a human mate.

As the alpha's son, my world revolved around how to protect my people from vampires, and occasionally humans. My father had told me, about humans specifically, "they would never understand. Fear overpowers logic." However, I can see why they would be scared.

To them, there was nothing logical about us. They lived in a rational world where the only things that were true were written in a science textbook. It was not their fault they didn't know of the other world that lived around them.

When I told my father that Corey, a human, was my mate he didn't seem to mind as much as he thought it would.

Obviously, he was disappointed when I told him how I ended up marking her. Nina gave me an earful too but I panicked. Even though I was never told what having a human mate would be like I still know that what I did was wrong. I just don't know how to make it up to her just yet.

Corey and Nina laughed upstairs. I glanced upward to where the bedroom was from the driveway before picking up a cooler and placing it in James' car. James walked over from inside the house carrying his and Nina's suitcases.

He was placing them in the car when my ears picked up a sound.

I turned around quickly and felt James walk up next to me, probably sensing it too. Focusing my eyes, there, behind a tree was a trace of gray skin and greasy black hair approached. The vampire was hissing at the house, specifically Corey's room window. It didn't come any closer, knowing that I had sensed it and then it was outnumbered and instead gave me a sly grin before scampering into the woods.