Chapter: 17, Don't Cry

"Welcome to the world of living", your eyes widened with shock.

"What?" you said or rather exclaimed. So the afterlife is really nothing else but a series of AUs. You already felt exhausted. You pushed yourself up to see who – or rather what – had broken into this room of some alternate universe. You were kinda sure that there is some concept of reincarnation but you were not so sure that they mentioned anywhere that you would be born with the same body-

"Hello, earth to (Y/N)", this time you actually looked up and found-

"Dazai?", there was questioning note in your voice.

"One and only", he perched. Now he was sitting right in front of you on the bed.

You let out a sigh to celebrate your failure in revealing the truth behind afterlife. Were you this desperate, you wondered.

"What, not satisfied to found yourself still alive, Mon belladonna?", he asked, rather cheerfully.

"I.... just didn't expect you....", you let out and wondered what you actually expected: An angel with wings and wand? The thought brought a wary smile on your gloomy face.

"Maybe I know whom you were expecting"-

Rest of Dazai's word sounded like a babble. Your mind was frosty with all the confusion that you barely understood what Dazai was saying. You could understand tiny part like the girl – Kiyouka Izumi by name - and others were safe , thanks to you. And there was a meeting going to happen which might tackle your interest.

And that your first mission or entrance exam was success.

"Wait! " , you continued, " that bloody bath was an entrance exam?"

"Not really..... If that psychopath – Oscar Wilde (you put in) – hadn't been there, you would have fled away with Kiyouka, which we were expecting".

"What about your super smart detective Ranpo"- you were cut off by Dazai.

"When we asked him about the plan he said you would pass".

Which, well you did..... and everyone, including you, were safe and sound.

"What about your prediction skills", you asked.

"I predicted something out of place thus I asked from Ranpo. We had no choice but to believe him when he said you were more than capable"

You sighed yet again. Life as a detective was never going to be simple right?

Lifeblood can save many other. You wonder if they really meant lifeblood or just blood alone? Otherwise there is no way anyone could save you. The blood that flowed out of your veins should have been enough to save every life out there. And, as the realization struck, Kuro must have tied your life with your body until Yousano could arrive and fill up for the plenty of blood loss. Phew, seems like no one wants you to die. What a pain.

You again fell into a daze when Dazai was telling you to get ready for the so called important meeting. You almost subconsciously, dragged yourself to bathroom to take a quick shower and change into the clothes Dazai brought for you.

******************************

Alright. You expected anything but this.

From your perphiral you could see two people sitting on the seats near the window at the agency's personal café. You swallowed a lump forming in your throat. You recall Dazai say that he knew who you wanted to see, if this is what he was thinking, he was totally wrong. The hat atop of the person moved as the owner turned his head 90 degrees to the right. He flashed a wicked smirk your way as he saw you two approaching from the corner of his eyes.