Chapter 14

Adam

The blood would not stop dripping down his face, gushing from his head as he began to feel light and faint. Running through the hall to catch Aleena before she could escape, he entered the kitchen to find the patio doors were wide open and a cool breeze was now rushing through, shifting the netting that adorned the country style windows. Adam sat on the doorstep, holding his head and attempted to scan the dark, back garden.

Back inside now he started to search around for her mobile phone with no luck. Pulling out his own he pressed dial on Aleena's number. The number now rang. Adam could not believe it, after several days he could her the call tone. No answer.

Storming back up the stairs of the cottage, he entered the main bedroom and began to throw Aleena's belongings into her case. Whilst zipping it he could see a flash of blue flashing lights through the window followed by the sound of a siren.

Deciding it was best to abandon the case now, Adam charged out of the cottage and ran down the streets to where he had previously parked his car out of sight. Pulling off the street and heading direct for the motorway, he left Aleena behind in Mickleton.

Arriving back in Reading, not long after 3am, Adam was cautious about returning home, assuming that the police would be on his trail. He left his car a few block of streets away and walked swiftly to Betty's. Ringing the doorbell continuously, he did not stop until the place was all aglow, illuminated by lamp light and Betty appeared before the door. Betty was startled to see him at this hour, looking worse for wear and injured.

Adam sat down in her kitchen and Betty filled a bowl with TCP and luke-warm water, bringing it over to where he was sat, she propped herself on a dining-room chair and started to clean his head using a wash cloth. Adam complained a little of the pain but Betty carried on. "What have you done to yourself Adam?" asked Betty, gently as she continued to wipe away dried blood. "I don't want to talk about this right now Betty, I am not in the mood" he replied. Betty started to reach the cut that had caused such blood loss, damaging and staining his clothes. "Adam, I really think that you should get this seen to by a doctor, it seems you may need this stitching or gluing" Betty said, whilst scouring through the rest of his hair to see what else she could find. "I am not fucking going to the hospital Betty, just let me rest here please, I will be gone in the morning. If anyone comes, do not let them in or say that I am here please. Betty did not reply and headed back to the sink, emptied the blood filled water bowl and grabbed her first aid kit from a cupboard and made make-shift butterfly stitches using fabric plasters. Once she had patched him up the best she could muster, she ushered him up the stairs to her bed.

Once in bed, Betty attempted to stroke and touch Adam in an affectionate and tender way. Stroking her nails down his back and the back up again to his neck. "Stop that" Adam said in a low voice. Betty ignored him and carried on with her nails now reaching round his front. "I said fucking stop it will you, what is wrong with you Betty!" Adam was angry now and pulled the duvet tighter around himself, attempting to sleep farther away from her. Betty felt insulted and grabbed her gown, headed down the hall, exited her spare room and slammed the door with a loud, harsh bang.