The Swayamvar-Numero Dos

Sita's heart was racing. In just moments, she was about to get married. Married! And she was excited about it too. Just weeks, perhaps a month or two before, she never thought she would be excited about marrying. And now, here she was. Marrying someone whom she loved. She looked beside her, to the silent, but bright face of Ram. Her soon-to-be husband. His smile brought her strength, and she turned back to face straight.

A few breaths were released and some stomachs flipped as the priest gestured for Raja Janak and Raja Kushadwaj to arrive. They did, and Raja Janak began. "I entrust you, Yuvraj Ram of Kosala, with the hand of my daughter, Rajkumari Sita of Videha." He grasped her soft, trembling hand, and placed it in the hands of Ram, who nodded.

"Your daughter, Rajkumari Sita of Videha, is my one, and only wife. I will never marry another in my lifetime." Raja Janak sighed in relief as Ram uttered these words, as did Sita, knowing that he had three mothers. His daughter would never have to live with the insecurity of her husband having multiple wives. Sita smiled softly at him, encouraging him to give away his other daughter as well. He repeated this procession with Urmila and Lakshman, who promised even more adamantly and stoutly, his eyes narrowing at the idea that he could even think of marrying another.

Raja Kushadwaj repeated the words with Mandavi. Mandavi was thoroughly relieved at her husband's promise. Polygamy was one of the reasons she had promised herself at a young age, never to marry. It was enough having to worry about pleasing one's husband, if they already had another wife, or were planning to marry again. To know that Bharat had just uttered sacred words, filled with truth, a heavy burden was lifted from her shoulders.

Shrutakirti practically beamed when Shatrughan stoutly agreed never to marry another. This was great! She had forgotten this part was even present in the ceremony, but now she was glad it was. It would be quite unsettling to see her husband repeating this same wedding ritual with anyone else. She swallowed hard at the thought and shook her head. What preposterous thoughts, Shrutakirti! Shatrughan could never love another like her! She could never love another like she loved Shatrughan. Indeed, she thought that no one else had the playful mischievousness of Shatrughan to love, but that wasn't a problem if she never would go out searching for it!

The priest, with a scruffy beard, bald head, and thin, squinty eyes, large cheeks and absent cheekbones, along with large, puffy hands and a deep sounding voice, ordered the four couples to rise up for the varmala ritual. Sita stood up, her hands trembling in fright. Whenever she, and her sisters, thought of marriage, the thing that came to mind was the flower necklace that they would put on their husbands' heads. Now that dream was becoming a reality.

Each of them were handed a beautifully decorated necklace, with fluffy pink, orange, and white flowers in beautiful lines. Shrutakirti studied them breathlessly. Such craftsmanship! And technically, threading flowers on a string was embroidery too! She turned around and smirked at Bharat who rolled his eyes in exasperation, before turning back to Shatrughan, who was eying the exchange amusedly.

The priest gestured for Ram to put his necklace on Sita, and smiling, practically splitting his face apart, he did so. Sita turned a bright red, and turned towards the priest for permission to put her necklace on Ram as well. She got the permission, and reached up to place the necklace on his neck, before pulling her hands back down. He was too tall. Ram frowned. Why was she not putting the necklace on him? Did she have any last minute thoughts, any reconsiderations? But that wasn't the problem, he quickly realized, as Sita tried once more, reaching up, before exhaling in exasperation and frustration.

Ram was faced with a dilemma, as he stared at his helpless wife, his mind racing with possible solutions. Now, he certainly wanted to get married, and he wanted to get married to Sita ! But they wouldn't be able to get married if she couldn't put the necklace on him, and she certainly couldn't grow any taller, and he any shorter. She was too short to reach up any further, even on her tippy toes, and that was dangerous, since there was practically a raging fire right in front of them!