If Only

"I wonder why we were called to the throne room." wondered Bharat out loud as the eight minus Ram walked towards said throne room. "None of us have done anything wrong except possibly Shatrughan, perhaps." Shatrughan scoffed. "Do you think that maybe Papa has some responsibilities for us as well, maybe? I would not be surprised, he has wanted us to all step up in the kingdom."

"I do not think so, Bharat," snorted Lakshman as he shook his head. "Not unless Papa wants to crown us king. He obviously is doing this because bhaiyya and bhabhi are soon going to be coronated!" He was faced with 6 incredulous, and one excited face. "What? It's true! Father goes around all the time saying that he's an aging old fellow, and that he shouldn't rule anymore, that he needs a vacation. Who's next in line? Ram bhaiyya!" he exclaimed. "I would not be surprised if he was crowned in a year or two."

The seven walked into the room, looking around curiously. Dasharath sat there, thinking deeply on his throne, scruffy grey eyebrows knitted together like a long scarf. Somehow, the silence was loud, the sound, of which there was none, rang in the brothers' ears. They did not try to interrupt it, or cut into it. The queens sat on their thrones as well, looking between each other in concern, radiating awareness.

"I have received an invitation from Raja Yudhajit for a few of you to tour Kekeya." Dasharath finally said. Kaikeyi's face looked up immediately, as did Bharat and Mandavi. Yudhajit was the elder brother of Kaikeyi, and now the King of Kekeya. Bharat's maternal uncle, he was very close to him and the brothers, and provided a fun, if not shrewd uncle to complete the extended family tree of Kosala's royal family.

Dasharath was not pleased or excited as he normally would have been, however. This invitation came at a most inconvenient time, when he was about to coronate Ram. He wanted Bharat there to receive the news, for he knew that his second son would be ecstatic. But rationality and practicality fought against his emotions, a raging battle held in fire and fury taking place in the king's brain.

But by a "few of them", Dasharath knew the king meant at least Bharat and his bride if not anyone else. It would be horrible to decline, even pleasantly, for Dasharath knew that Yudhajit was temperous, protective of his siblings, and though kind, took offense quite easily. In many ways, he was very similar, he now thought, to his own Lakshman. And Dasharath did not want to postpone the coronation, for Raj Guru Vashishta told him that it was a most auspicious time to crown his eldest son.

Bharat would not be able to stand being the only one to miss out on the immediate news. Besides, perhaps they could cut the vacation short by a few days and still have him, his bride, and whoever else was going with him back before Ram was crowned! Yes, that was good. "Bharat," began Dasharath. "I would wish you, Rajkumari Mandavi, as well as Shatrughan and Rajkumari Shrutakirti to go."

Bharat nodded dutifully, as did Mandavi, Shatrughan, and Shrutakirti. They were quickly dismissed, and the four began to start packing. It was then that Ram strolled into Bharat's room. "Hello! What are you doing?" he asked, once he saw the travelling pack and things all haywire across the room. "Is there something necessary that I could help with, maybe?" Bharat shook his head, out of breath, and walked forward.

"No bhaiyya, not at all! Me, Mandavi, Shrutakirti, and Shatru are going to Kekeya for a couple of days. Papa wants us to pack and leave as soon as possible, as not to anger Yudhajit Mama. All in the good too." Bharat put a few paints and paintbrushes into his pack sparingly as Mandavi shook her head in amusement. Ram nodded, clapping a hand on his shoulder, and walked out of the room, his heart beating unnaturally fast.

-----O-----

"I can't believe we're actually going." Shatrughan murmured. For some reason, this felt final, and he looked back at the palace, warm and bright, as if he couldn't believe it. He licked his lips, dry and flaky, and watched carefully as a few jolly servants loaded his pack onto a carriage that would be following them. "I can't believe it." Shatrughan could not stop himself from repeating his words, swallowing hard again.