The Approaching Doom

Kumbhakaran blinked away his sleep lazily, and looked around at all the rotting food, wincing from the smell before fully sitting up. The Earth shook under his weight as he got up, pushing aside his covers. "I have woken after only five months in the stead of six," Kumbhakaran grumbled, though his voice rattled the entire room. "And you place in front of me rotting food fit not even for the dogs who draw sleds across the sands? Have you gone mad? Who has done this? At least let me enjoy my sleep!"

Devantak was about to walk in front of Kumbhakaran, but instead of him, Dhanyamalini went, for she believed that Kumbhakaran was in no mood to hear the harsh, sharp, and probably unwelcome words of her son. "Rajkumar," she began gently, before her voice became firm. "Lankesh himself has ordered us to wake you up. Your greatness wasn't awakening when we placed platters full of food fit to entice even the Gods in front of you, so we had to resort to these..." she trailed off. "Banana peels and wormy apples instead."

Kumbhakaran nodded as they stepped back. He removed his legs carefully from the bed, and exhaled, closing his eyes for a moment, adjusting to the light. Finally, in walked in Ravan, brimming with excitement and pride. He craned his neck to look at Kumbhakaran, who joined his hands together. "Bhrata Ravan," he began. "It's nice to see you after five months. How has it been? Where is Prahast, who comes to welcome me?"

Ravan swallowed. "Kumbhakaran. I am glad to see you at last." he paused once more. "The truth is, we didn't want to wake you. I didn't want to disturb you and-by Gods, you've only grown, someone get my flying chariot!" Ravan's servants pushed the Pushpaka Vishaka (forgot the name, was the closest I could think of), towards him, and Ravan climbed on, floating in front of Kumbhakaran's face. "As I was saying, we didn't want to disturb you, however-"

Ravan looked down at his hands for a second as he sat cross legged on his floating chariot, but looked back up at Kumbhakaran. "A lot has happened over the past few months, as you were sleeping, Kumbhakaran. Good things, of course, many good things, and bad thing as well. I regret to say that many have died." Ravan paused. "Over the last few months, I found a woman named Sita, a woman so beautiful Kumbhakaran, that I couldn't help myself. She is heavenly, Kumbhakaran, like an apsara. She puts the mere ideals of beauty to shame."

Kumbhakaran gaped at Ravan. "DIdn't you say that about Mandodari as well, bhrata? The chief queen of Lanka, Mandodari? And then you felt the same way about Dhanyamalini, Manodari's younger sister. And then there were the five thousand concubines whom you turned into little wives. And probably thousands more at this point. Do tell me bhrata, why do you bother telling me about Sita?"

Ravan exhaled. "Sita is divine. I captured her, bringing her to the Ashok Vatika, because she refused to become my wife, can you believe it Kumbhakaran? I am RAVAN!" he thundered, spreading his arms out like an eagle. "And she refused to marry me? Vibhishan told me to release her, release her, and so then I kicked him out of his court, the traitor, him and his lackeys!" Kumbhakaran inhaled sharply; he had always doted upon Vibhishan. "Then, her husband and his good-for-nothing brother declared war on me and showed up with this army of monkeys who crossed the ocean, and apparently monkeys are good at fighting, because-"

"Wait, what?" Kumbhakaran asked, exasperated, as Ravan took a deep breath. "Monkeys? Crossing the ocean? Monkeys cannot fly, bhrata! And what's this, she has a husband? Bhrata, you'll have to explain some more. My sleep muddled brain can't understand the head or tail of this monkey infestation. That is what it is, right?"

Grumbling, Ravan shook his head. "No." he paused, pacing on his Pushpaka Vishaka. "It's no monkey infestation, Kumbhakaran, it's something much, much, much worse. Her husband and her brother, two useless hermits, allied with Vali's younger brother, Sugriv, who is now the King of Kishkindha, and apparently has his tight hold over the world's vanar population. They have, with some great blessing from Lord Varun, crossed the Indian Ocean, and after many offenses to us, had declared war on us. Imagine! Two hermits and the monkeys! It's like a children's book title!"