Reconciliations and Reconstrued Missions (like killing Indrajit, etc.)

Song of the Chapter: Jhuk na Paunga (Raid)

Out of all them, Hanuman was perhaps the most scary. He was not like Kumbhakaran, forever condemned to the status of giant, but could change sizes at free will, crush all of Lanka underfoot if he kept growing; just chose not to. Ram reasoned that this would kill many innocent rakshasas, and also, consequently, Sita. Hanuman's muscles rippled like ocean waves, and hair flew like a flag beckon.

But, Hanuman thought, there weren't many sights to see like Shri Ram and Lakshman, standing side by side, awaiting the war signal of Lanka. In front of them, sure, stood an entire army. However, it was as if the vanar sena was completely erased, showing only these two godly brothers, birds of prey patiently waiting to unleash death upon adharmic rakshasas. And then, upon reflecting on this paragraph, Hanuman figured that he should be an author.

Ravan, at this point, noticed the large army which had collected in front of the battlefield, before dawn even braced upon them. Ravan, who had rejoiced upon the so-called end of the war, gaped at the assortment of monkeys. At the back of the helm stood the generals, Mainda and Dwivida and Rishabha. Behind them were upper generals like Jambavan, Angad, and Hanuman. Nal and Neel braced with maces on their shoulders. Then Sugriv.

Ravan reached for his viewing scope laughingly, because his eyes were really starting to fail him. For a moment, he thought he saw two figures. "Ridiculous," he muttered, adjusting the little viewing glasses in the scope, humming a little Death Tune to himself. Then he peered into the end, and promptly had five heart attacks in rapid succession. However, since he couldn't die by the hands of anything but a mortal, Ravan lived through those cardiac arrests, and got back up, staring at the scene before him.

Because Ram seemed perfectly fine, face and emotions intact, ready to fight as ever. And beside him was his brother, face cut off and emotionless, but chest completely unblemished and very intimidating bow on his shoulder. His jaw was clenched slightly, eyes darting around as if assessing the battlefield, but not a sign of death visible in his cool exterior. Ravan stumbled back, clutching his chest. "INDRAJIT!"

-----O-----

"It's impossible," Indrajit muttered, rubbing his stubbled chin between his fingers. "It's completely impossible," He glanced up. "Father, are you quite sure? Are you sure that it is the same man as you saw earlier? Did you get Surpanakha-aunty to fact check? Did you look closely? Ram may have gotten a similar looking man to make us uneasy."

"SURE?" Ravan roared. "Yes, I am quite sure! I looked him in the eye. Him and his brother. That Ram! He always escapes our attacks! It's luck, sheer luck! But bad for him, the Gods will always be on my side! I shall win out in the end, for what will a mortal man be able to do to me, Ravan? Ridiculous!"

"No one can survive the Shakti Astra," Indrajit stressed. "It's impossible. You can't. I almost never use it. And what's this you say? Not even a scar? That's godly, Papa. It's not supposed to happen. That, and the fact that they were able to get so far in the first place; something is striking me as wrong. Papa, please. Tell me it isn't true." Then his eyes burnt angrily. "Stupid shakti astra. I'll find something better!'

Ravan leaned forward in his throne, thumping his fist eagerly. "Go to the cave of Nikumbila Devi! If you complete the entire ceremony in front of her, you shall be granted certain victory against all enemies! Complete that ceremony! And kill this Lakshman. Ram too, if possible. Best to get it done with quickly, so that we can sit back in peace. Just two hermits aided by pure luck. Beginner's Luck, to be sure!"

"Don't worry, Father." Meghnad assured. "He'll be dead today! There's not a chance of either of them escaping!" He clutched his dhoti as he bowed, and then with a flick of exquisite silk, Indrajit the great (and kinda doomed) warrior was off, seething with the hatred of a thousand elephants, but looked down on with the spite of a thousand dead enemies.