Idk what to name this one, so you just get this fun little note by the author.

That evening, right after the royal chariot left, all Ram did was brood. He sat in the middle of his cottage, right by the candlelight, food left untouched, hands under his chin, looking off into nowhere. Nothing seemed to be able to awaken him from his trance, not the inviting aroma of SIta's cooking, nor the loud shouts of Lakshman from far away. No, Ram was fully in a world of his own, mulling over things too stressful to talk about.

All he could think of was his father. Raja Dasharath, but more than a king, or a father, his Papa. The Papa that had nurtured him when they were growing up. The first memories he had were of his father. The thick, compact beard, full of black hair, black hair that he had scarcely seen since Gurukul. The large, heavy crown, the crown of a king, a wide, pearly smile as he played with his firstborn son. That man was dead.

Ram did not know what to do. He did not know where to go. All he could think of were memories, faint and wispy, of his father during his childhood. His pampering, regal, proud father. Everything he had ever aspired to be. Righteous, a follower of dharma, ever upholding truth. The graceful and beloved King of Kosala. The father of the four princes. His father.

Flashback

"Ram, Ram!" laughed Dasharath as a three year old boy with dark complexion and hair ran towards him. Dasharath reached down and lifted him up, twirling him around in the air. Ram laughed merrily as he whirled around the room, his eyes catching the flashes of light reflecting off of the jewels in the pillars. He waved his hands and Dasharath brought him down, sitting him on his lap, where Ram could see the entire court.

"You see, Ram? You will one day have this entire court to yourself! One day, when I am very, very, old, bone thin and weak, and you are a handsome young man, married and all, you will be the next king of Kosala." Ram's eyes widened at this thought, and he scooted a bit closer to his father and further away from the courtiers. "Son, what's wrong?" Dasharath asked with concern in his voice. Did Ram not want to be king?
"Papa-what if I am a bad king?" Ram asked softly, staring at all the courtiers. He had seen since the very first days of his childhood, how not even one had ever missed a day in his father's court. Would they ever miss a day in his court? Ram had been brought up knowing that he would be the next king. Though Kaushalya often worried of the burden it would place on him, Ram wanted to be the next king. "Papa, what if I disappoint you?"

Dasharath burst into laughter. Then he quieted down and stroked his mustache as Ram sat on the throne next to him, ice blue eyes darting from courtier to courtier curiously as they stared back in slight fear. "Son, you were born to rule. Not only is it in your blood, but I can see it in the way you act. None of your brothers could be the destined ruler for in the terms of leadership, you outstrip them all. Besides, I don't think any of them want to be king either."

Dasharath looked up from his firstborn, and saw Bharat waving around a color set, Lakshman, at age two, managing to scare away a courtier with a simple glare, and Shatrughan quietly snatching Lakshman's armlet when he wasn't looking, resulting in him being pushed over once Lakshman noticed the absence. "No-no, they definitely don't want to." He looked back down at Ram-apple of his eye. "You will never disappoint me, son. Never."

Present

"I did-father. I did." he cried softly, clasping his hands together and biting his lip so hard that the skin cracked, just so he wouldn't cry. He couldn't disappoint his father again.

Flashback

"Remember, son." Dasharath proclaimed as they walked down the courtyard of the palace. Ram looked up curiously. He was not seven, and Dasharath had taken up his education before he would go to Gurukul. "Remember. You will be the future king of Ayodhya, a better one than I and your ancestors, I am sure! You are knowledgeable and proud, and are the worthy product of the Raghu-Ikshvaku-Suryavanshi clan."