The Big Not-So Friendly Giant

However much the vacation day had provided the vanar sena with comfort, seeing one of their main leaders wounded by Ravan's arrow quickly brought their minds back to the war. It was unreal, completely unreal, seeing the demon king who had terrorized their childhood with nightmares and horror stories that wouldn't allow them sleep, the rakshas who had been present in every threat made by their mothers if they forgot to clean their room, that very demon storming the battlefield.

The monkey army realized, all of a sudden, that this was not a battle against Ravan's mercenaries and men, who seemed to be easily defeated. If they continued to wound, dishonor, and kill his courtiers, then Ravan would show up again, with his endless arrows and astras, and he had the power to kill them all. Some shuddered in the Healing Rooms, and others rolled around in their cots, but the main generals did not sleep.

-----O-----

The bluish light of twilight turned into the pitch black skies and absence of light in midnight. And yet still, they did not sleep. Ram folded his legs under his feet as Vibhishan sipped his sixth cup of tea. Nal and Neel lifted alternate weights. Angad, teeth gritting together, swung his mace around his body. Hanuman practiced growing in sizes and uprooted trees, setting them aside for use in the next day's war.

Jambavan did not say a word as he, and some of the more minor healers, rushed back and forth from the forest, collecting the herbs that he had staked out. And Sugriv quietly lit a cigar, taking a long whiff from it before setting it down, letting the smoke cascade into small swirls, blending into the crisp air of the seaside, making the surrounding air feel as if someone had turned on a bonfire.

Lakshman wordlessly rolled up the cloth that Jal had sewn into large rolls, easier for the medics to use. After he had finished with days and days of work in just minutes, he sat down on the ground. But only moments later, feeling quite useless, he was about to reinforce the pillars underneath the tent, before he paused, shaking his head, and walked towards the place where Sugriv sat, giving him a small, respectful nod, and sitting down once more.

And right in the center of this was Ram, Ram who crossed his arms and glanced at Lanka, which seemed quite festive and alight with fire and orange flames even in the nighttime. Finally, he turned towards the direction of Vibhishan, Vibhishan who had set down his tea and set his hands on his knees. "What may we expect next?" he asked, his face grim. "What will Ravan do next, Vibhishan?"

Nal looked up, edging closer as Neel set down his weights, and Angad, not even pretending, ambled his way over and stood next to Lakshman, who had also stood up eagerly. Vibhishan hummed for a second, before standing up and bowing his head. "There are only two things that Ravan can do as of this point. Perhaps three, Prabhu." Then, he glanced up, his soft brown eyes meeting Ram's ice blue. "He can either order one of his sons or nephews to go, Kumbha, Nikumbha, Devantak, perhaps Megha-Indrajit." He exhaled. "He can himself go, however unlikely this is. I doubt he'd want to embarrass himself for the second time in a row. No, either he'll send his sons, or, he can order Kumbhakaran to come out."

Vibhishan shifted in his seat as Sugriv took another long whiff from his cigar, exhaling the smoke into the air, shifting his jaw this way and that. Nal and Neel glanced at each other as Angad stood up, his crown shining more than ever. Finally, dropping his cigar on the ground and crushing it under his feet, Sugriv himself cleared his throat, letting the last of the smoke escape the scene. "Well, then we'll be ready. We'll be ready for whenever this giant attacks. You, Prabhu Shri Ram, have my word."

-----O------

Even if Sugriv actually meant to keep this promise this time around (and not wait for four months) it wouldn't exactly be easy. Kumbhakaran was a giant. As in a real-life giant. He was also Ravan's brother (which said many things about Ravan, but anyways). And currently, this real-life giant was fast asleep on the giant velvet bed which had been built just for him. Usually, Lankesh was glad for it.