[̲̅f][̲̅o][̲̅u][̲̅r][̲̅t][̲̅e][̲̅e][̲̅n] - love

wednesday, august 17th, 2016

"another day, another shift." i say, sitting down at the barstool at the icecream bar. jahseh gives me a kiss on the cheek before leaving me with jill, and he puts his cute little nametag on, going in the back.

"i know that's right." jill agrees with me, pressing a few buttons on the cash register. her face lights up like she's just remembered something. "jahseh!" she yells.

"ma'am?" jahseh comes from the back, his clipboard in his hand. i giggle quietly at his use of "ma'am", i'll never understand that shit. sounds very much like a southern thing. i grew up on the west coast so we don't know much about manners.

"there's a shipment of shot glasses that i ordered that just came in, but it's at the warehouse a few blocks away." she grabs her purse and pulls out a piece of paper, which i'm assuming has the proof of purchase on it, and hands it to jahseh. "take this up there and and they should give you the shipment. take your time, there's no rush." she says. jahseh nods and is about to walk off, but he turns back to me, pulling me into a light hug.

"be right back." he mumbles into my ear. "alright, be safe." i respond, and he gives me a kiss and walks off before i can say anything else, my face reddening because jill is right there. he opens the front door, "be careful!" jill yells after him, and jahseh waves, before setting off down the street.

jill turns her attention to me and leans on the counter with her arms, giving me a sweet, but curious smile.

"i know it's none of my business, but you two are so cute. it's so refreshing to see young love." she says whimsically, glancing up at the ceiling dramatically in wonder before setting her eyes back down on me. i wave her off playfully, shaking my head. "there's nothing much going on between us. he's quite a character though, i'll say that." i nod.

"well he introduced you as his girlfriend, i'm sure that's not 'nothing'." she wiggles her eyebrows mischievously. "i really don't know what we are, if i'm being honest." i shrug. "we literally met like ten days ago, and all of a sudden he wants to name me as his girlfriend."

jill adjusts herself in her chair behind the register, and sweeps her bangs out of her face, which is a accompanied by a semi-loose dark brown ponytail.

"you can't control how you feel, sweetie. love has no time limit."

"love?" i raise an eyebrow. "i don't know. i wouldn't describe it as love."

"please, do you see the way he looks at you?" she asks, making a "pffft" sound with her mouth. "that boy has all the love in the world for you." the nervousness that arises in me after she finishes causes a tic in my eyebrow, and i shake my head in an attempt to shake it off. "love is a strong word."

"it's a strong feeling too, that's why there's a strong word to describe it."

"i don't know if i love him..." i say in a shameful voice, twiddling my thumbs. "and that's okay. it's okay not to know when you love someone yet, or when you can't reciprocate the feelings at all. that's okay. both of you are still young, there's no rush." she takes a deep breath, "you said that all of a sudden he named you his girlfriend, well honey, are you in a situation you don't wanna be in?"