Afterwords

Mark's POV

I was so, so angry at myself for beating her. My dad always said to just let my anger out, it was best if I just hurt the person then, but I forgot what he did to me. I forgot all the bruises he gave me, the scars that still show on my back because of him. I forgot that he was the monster... and I so foolishly listen to him.

When I got angry that day... I don't even remember what it was about... probably something stupid, I hit the first thing that I saw. Her. And then when I saw how much I actually cried for her when she left, I... I don't know what I did. I went to a bar, got drunk, and picked up girls. It's always been easy for me, but when I saw her at the movies with that look on her face... I knew she thought I was a monster. But the truth is... I am.

So for now and forever, I will make sure to never hurt anyone else. I can't even stand her anymore. I want to talk, but I just can't, and it drives me crazy. Out of my mind. Every time I see her- I saw her in the grocery store with Daniel the other day- she reminds me of my former self. The one that disgusts me even now. I hate that me that I used to be. I've made some changes, and one of them was to never see her again.

She can think whatever she wants. I don't even care anymore- if she thinks I'm a worthless coward, I won't even get mad anymore, because I know I was with her. Every time I got mad I took it out on her and then the next day I'd act like nothing ever happened. I was a monster... I'll spend the rest of my life trying to help get rid of that shadow that follows me. Get rid of it, and all the other lessons my dad taught me.

____________________________________________________