IV. Hers

Hello...

She starts coughing and tears start to run down her face. She gestures to her surroundings.

This... this is what Mark did. Remember last time I said he was angry with me for breaking up with him? He went too far this time. He lost control again and started hitting me. I tried to stop him, but that only angered him more. His hands wrapped around my neck, and he pressed me on to the ground with all his weight. I couldn't get up, couldn't fight back, until Emily came.

She starts to smile a little.

She was supposed to come pick me up for a movie, but instead she walked in to see Mark choking me. When Mark looked up, her just ran off. Emily ran over to me and called the hospital as fast as she could, but Mark bruised my neck, but nothing more. Still, the hospital ordered me to stay a few days to make sure I was ok.

She sighs and starts to shed some tears.

I miss you, now more than ever. Mark's been... losing control for a while now, but this time I can't go back. I mean he tried to... He tried to kill me, he would've if Emily hadn't come...

She shakes her head and wipes away her tears.

 I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to see him again. I don't know what I was thinking... It's just that when I first went to him, he was so nice and... caring but now... I can't face him. He's been slowly melting away. I don't know why but lately he's been losing control. He just hits me and the next day he apologizes... It always seems so sincere but... I can't. I can't deal with it for any longer- he tried to kill me. That won't be settled with an I'm sorry. He can try to apologize to me as much as he wants, but I'm leaving him.

This time I'm leaving him for a good reason. Not like when I left you. I still can't understand what made me leave but...Will you please come back to me? I was almost sure you'd text me or call me by now but-God, you probably hate me! I was so, so, so stupid to walk out on you. If you won't come to me... I'll...I'll come to you.

The screen goes blank. She pulls out her phone-

Do you want to hang out or something?

She pauses before she hits send and scolds herself.

After all this time of being silent, why would he even want to see me? He probably doesn't even remember what we had anyway... it was so long ago.

She starts to break down again and turns her phone off.

Next time, next time I'll send it, and I won't even second guess myself. I'll just go for it.