Chapter 6. Dinner at Kaylee's Place

Kia took the trolley to Kaylee's street, but had to walk the rest of the way to get to her apartment which happened to sit on a very steep hill. She severely regretted visiting her at the spur of the moment because she had to walk up that steep hill in high heels. By the time she made it to the top, she was sweating profusely, her legs were cramping, and she was out of breath. Kaylee opened the door for her, and she practically fell inside.

"Kaylee, I'm going to kill you for moving here once I catch my breath," she wheezed on her hands and knees.

Kaylee giggled and helped her up. "I know it's rough, I'm hoping I build up the stamina for it, but it's so worth the view. Come see!" She dragged an exhausted Kia towards the window.

Kia gasped. "You have bay windows!" She accused and quickly sat down on the soft seat.

Kaylee sat beside her. "Isn't it great?"

Kia looked out the window. Kaylee had a view of the Bay, Fisherman's Wharf, a small beach and she could smell chocolate from the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory nearby.

"Barnes and Nobles is right around the corner and there's Safeway right beside it and whenever I'm bored or want some seafood. Fisherman's Wharf is two blocks away."

"That's great Kaylee, you have everything you need close by."

"I know, it's perfect. I'll never have to drive. I hate driving. I was never any good at it in the south. I can walk, take the trolley, the bus, heck even the Bart if I wanted to. I love San Francisco! It's such a colorful lively little city."

"You're making me excited and I've lived here all my life," Kia laughed. "Although I have to say, I've never spent much time on this side. Isn't it great we live so close by each other?"

"Oh yes, I love it, I'll have to come over to your place so I can see your high maintenance apartment," Kaylee teased.

Kia looked around Kaylee's apartment. "Only you can take a San Francisco apartment and decorate it in a southern traditional style. I love it! It feels so comfortable and home-like here. I just want to take off my shoes, relax, and go to sleep or read a good book. Then again, it could be you, Kaylee, you make people feel that way when they're around you." Kia smiled at her.

Kaylee smiled and stood up. "I knew you were coming so I cooked some fresh muffins, thought you'd want a snack."

Kia laughed. "You see what I mean?"

"So how did your meeting with the advisors go?" Kia asked later as they sat in the living room eating banana nut muffins and drinking tea.

"Oh gosh, Kia there's so much work to do. I have to admit that it's very overwhelming! But the advisors were very patient with me and they worked with a lot of my ideas."

"That's great," Kia told her, sipping on her tea.

"I know the twins are helping me because of you, but heck if you don't want them, I'll take them," Kaylee teased.

"Don't let Brandon here you say that," Kia mumbled.

"Brandon?" Kaylee smiled at the mention of his name and sighed.

Kia stared at her suspiciously. "Oh, hell no, there will be no twinkling of the eyes or romantic sighs over my brother. Kaylee he is still a pig. I went over his place for lunch. He is still messing around with those slutty girls from the club."

"Really?" Kaylee looked slightly disappointed. "I was so hoping he'd changed a little. I guess I can only dream. I mean they were practically throwing themselves at him throughout college, then again if I were a guy and looked as good as Brandon, I'd probably be living it up too."