Chapter 7

Chapter 7: No Strings Attached

I open my eyes knowing that I have to get ready for work today. I don't want to, I don't think anybody wants to get up with only two hours of sleep but I don't have a choice. I throw my sheets to the side, throwing both my legs over to the cold tile floor. I stand up trying to regain my strength as much as possible and walk over to the curtains. I open each side up without having to squint my eyes at the bright sunshine because it's four a.m. in the morning and still pitch dark.

To make sure I'm fully awake I turn on the shower water with no heat, just cold. The water stings at first but as always, I just become numb to it. Taking the soap bar, I run it all over my chest and down to my stomach. Right before I hit there I think of her. Why is there something about her? That question has been haunting me since I first met her. The fact that she didn't latch onto me right away made me want her even more.

Once I finish my shower, I walk over to my closet with a towel hanging from my waist. I pick out my usual black suit and black tie and put it on. By the time I'm finished it's about 4: 45 a.m., it's funny how fast time goes by. Emma, my personal assistant is already down stairs packing all my things as usual. It's weird how I trust her so much, but I know that she would never do anything to hurt me, something that I can't say about a lot of people.

"Good morning, how did you sleep?" she asked me.

"The usual." I reply sitting down at the table and placing my napkin onto my lap.

"How many times do I have to tell you? It's important for you to get some sleep." she says sitting down at the table in the chair in front of me.

"I know, and I'll start as soon as the nightmares go away." I start eating my eggs and bacon.

"Oh, you're still getting those. You know the option of therapy is always still up." Emma knowing that I'm way too comfortable with her steals a piece of my bacon.

I steal the piece of bacon back. "Emma, I've been going to therapy practically my whole life. Not one person in this whole entire world has ever been able to help."

"Well," she grabs it back from me. "Maybe that's the problem. I think you just need some help opening up. You've kept to yourself for so long, I mean it took me two years to know where you're from."

I don't respond, I don't know how to respond. It's funny how it took me a year to tell Emma things that I've already told her in exactly thirty two days of knowing her.

"Well, I'll be down the stairs in the lobby. Come down when you're ready." she says before grabbing her purse and heading for the door.

"Wait." I object. "Same time today?" She nods and walks through the door closing it behind her and once again I'm all alone.

Instead of finishing my breakfast, I just push it aside and grab my things to go meet Emma in the lobby. Of course she knows me, she's standing outside the elevator waiting for me. I press the button to open up the doors and wait less than a second for it to open. I walk in with Emma while I check emails and texts on my phone.