Chapter 5

Chapter 5: No Strings Attached

Neither you or Kylo said a word on the plane back to New York, to home. The only noise was the tires moving on the wet pavement. You counted each rain drop that fell on the window. No sounds were heard except the slow breaths coming from your lungs, each one feeling like you were running a marathon just trying to get to the next gasp of air.

The pictures were still stuck in your mind, as if they were plastered onto a board and put right in front of you to always look at. The red stains on her dress, palm prints over her face, pearls broken off from her necklace everywhere. In the plane the only thing on your mind was why did he do it and what would he do to you? You had agreed to spend the next year with a murderer, who knew what Kylo might do to you if you disobeyed him.

It wasn't the fact that he killed Harper that scared you, it was the fact that at any second he could kill you too. He could easily hire whoever and you'd be gone in an instant, not a trace of your life left behind. There were so many questions to ask but how to begin. 

Where did they do it?

How did they do it?

Would someone tell?

Would Kylo act differently?

Would you be the next one?

You didn't say a word as you got out of the car right in front of your apartment building. Kylo didn't say anything either, he just sat still looking out the window at the raindrops coming down but not hitting him. Cardo offered to help you with your bags but you said no. All you wanted was to get back home, curl up and watch some TV and most importantly, be as far away from Kylo as possible. Sarah wasn't even there, you would be all alone still wondering, still scared, still nothing.

Throwing your purse and suitcases to the side, you jumped onto your bed getting under the covers. Turning on the TV, you started watching "Pride and Prejudice", one of your favorite movies. Elizabeth Bennett finds out what Mr. Darcey is really like behind the barriers he puts up and they fall in love, the end. You wondered if you would ever have that happy ending, I mean you were still young. 

The door to your apartment opened, but you swore you locked it. You ran to your bathroom and locked the door going as far back as possible. The memory of Harper kicked into your brain again and then the pictures and then Kylo. Your bathroom door opened too, you screamed hiding behind a rug you picked up.

"Hey, it's ok, it's just me." a familiar voice spoke.

Looking up slowly you saw Kylo. He stood there with wet hair just like yours from the rain, his clothes were completely soaked and his shoulders more slouched than usual. "Couldn't you call me first or something?" you yelled.

Kylo crouched down crawling towards you on the floor. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"All you did was scare me." A pause. "Again."

He started stroking your hair, pulling your head into his chest. "I know and I am truly sorry that you had to see that."