XXV

"The sea rat," Ganondorf furrowed his brow.

"The monster," Tetra said.

She shot him. Ganondorf uttered some ancient curse.

"I hate firearms," he seethed. "In ages past, Gerudo women proved themselves worthy with their precision and quickness in using a bow. Now combat requires little discipline. An untrained fool can still kill with a gun."

Link rolled over, and saw Tetra lock another round into the gun's chamber.

"I care little for if your bows were impressive. My gun can kill you just the same," she said.

"As long as I have the triforce of power, young Hylian," Ganondorf said, "none of your mortal weapons can bring an end to me."

He pulled his robe aside, revealing that, while there was a hole going through the layers of clothing beneath, the skin was unblemished. There was a glow on his hand.

Even in the midst of the dire situation, Link found his mouth gape open. Ganondorf truly had the triforce of power. A shard of the goddesses' very abilities. Something of stories and of ancient lore, not something to be found in his own life.

Link felt very helpless. Ganondorf's words had burned him to his core, but he still reached out in his mind to the goddesses.

Farore, he prayed, help me stand against this beast.

Link shifted his position painfully, trying to get up.

Ganondorf stomped him back onto the floor. Tetra shot him again. He showed little reaction. It was a horrifying image. The man stood unfazed, even though the bullet had ripped through one cheek and out the other side.

Link averted his eyes from the gruesome image.

"Yes," Ganondorf said, "look away Link. For I do not think you'll want to see what I'm about to do."

Looking down at the floor, he saw Ganondorf stride towards Tetra, his robe flowing across the floorboards. Tetra drew her curved sword to strike him.

"A sword," Ganondorf said thoughtfully. "And the design mimics the Gerudo style. A finer choice than a gun. But it is merely a poor imitation, fit only to be cast aside."

Tetra stabbed him in the side, but he grabbed her unabashed, tightening his thick fingers around her neck.

"There will not be trees to catch you this time," Ganondorf said.

Link got up, and ran towards Ganondorf. And he tossed Tetra out the window.

"You evil wretch!" Link screamed.

He made a frenzied, thoughtless attack on Ganondorf, but Tetra was already falling into the dark. His blows meant nothing to this villain, and eventually the beast grew tired of holding back, unceremoniously throwing a punch into Link's stomach.

"I have tried to maneuver myself into a position to get to her, but the goddesses have thwarted them," Ganondorf said. "It is annoying that I will have to wait for them to find someone else, but time means little to me anymore."

Ganondorf wiped blood off of his face as the cuts there resealed.

"But you," he said to Link, "will wish that your end was as peaceful as hers."

Link moaned in pain and fear, watching with the terror of a thousand nightmares as pure evil stalked closer to him.

There was a crash of noise in the hut.

Link felt something grab around his side. He was suddenly wrenched into motion, and then thrust out into the cold night wind.

He kept his grip tight on the master sword and his shield, but turned his head to see what was going on.