XLI

"THIS IS not nearly as fun as it once was," Joel said, panting heavily after a little sparring match.

"You're doing great Joel!" Link encouraged, "you are hiking your grip a bit far up your weapon, but that's something you'll get better at with time."

Joel laughed. "Maybe. Some of us just aren't meant to be swordsmen."

"Or maybe," Link's father said from behind, "Link has a bit of an unfair advantage, hmm?"

"Oh hey," Link turned to his father, "I've already loaded my things on the ship, thought I'd have a bit of fun for old times sake."

"I'm going to miss you," Joel said.

"We all will," Link's father said. "But... I think I feel that it is right. From the moment you declared your intention to go after Aryll, I've felt that one thought - this is right. I had no idea our family had been passing down pieces of the triforce - but I'm glad that we trusted you, so that they could find their way into the right hands."

"You and Mom did far more for me than the triforce," Link smiled. "Somehow, I never could bring myself to completely give up. Somehow, I kept choosing to help people, even when I didn't."

"For all her faults," his father said, "I think Tetra is right. Though it may seem distant now, the promise of a new land sounds incredible."

"And it's one that I better get ready for," Link said. 

They had been sparring on the east side of the island's ridge, where a thankfully now fixed, and more sturdy rope bridge connected. Link had found himself up here more and more often, a place where he felt he could really grasp the fierce winds.

When Link walked out of the shade of some trees as they came down the hill, he was surprised to see the island all gathered together, with a bunch of tables set down on the grass.

"We never did celebrate your birthday," Link's mother smiled, "and letting you go without some kind of celebration seemed -"

"A blatant waste of a good excuse to throw a party," Grandma said.

She seemed more active, more strong since Link had been home. Her healing all that time ago seemed to have really changed her. He had discovered real life and personality in his Grandmother that he'd never seen before.

And with his family, with his parents, Grandma and Aryll - with the villagers who were essentially family - and then with the crew and Tetra, he finally celebrated the day he traditionally became a man. 

He really considered the ceremony sacred, but it had been but a precursor to the real trials that had, and were shaping him into an adult. Maybe someday he'd feel as mature as his father. Maybe someday Link would be able to smile, leading his own son through the ceremony.

He wondered if perhaps they should perform it anymore. After all, Ganondorf had been slain, and Hylia's people now had a hero. But Link felt that it was something that should continue. Someday, he would be gone. He wanted others to follow him.

They had an island feast, with pig roasted over a fire, and fresh grilled vegetables. Link had been afraid that the pirates would... well, do something out of place, or offend the islanders. But with the sharing of stories from Link's adventures, and a few from the pirates, there wasn't a frown to be seen.

Music was played, songs were sung, and Link was even able to get Tetra to dance one song with him. 

After it all, by the time the sun was sinking down lower in the sky, when the songs had ceased, the food had been cleared, and the conversation had died down... Link knew that the time had finally arrived.