XIX

LINK WALKED up to a beige stone statue, placing Din's Pearl in the statue's cupped hands.
He had already gone to the other two islands, giving up the other two pearls.

The statue was sculpted in the shape of a robed girl, her face staring stoically back at him. The statue's eyes glowed a warm red.

And then it exploded.

Link was thrown backward, and he painfully struck the shore of the small islet. When he finally exerted himself upright, he saw that the statue was swathed in red smoke, but was still intact.

A bolt of red light was coming from Din's Pearl, the statue now raising its arms towards the skies.
He stared at the path of the bolt of light, watching it advance into the distance.

A cacophonous roar sounded on the wind. A gigantic white pillar broke through the surface of the water, and began to rise into the air. It climbed higher, and higher.

"Fletch!" Link shouted.

The King of Red Lions rose as a large wave rolled across the ocean.

"Yes," the King of Red Lions ignored his interjection, "it is an impressive sight."

"What is that?" Link asked.

"The tower of the gods," his companion answered.

"Is the master sword there?" Link asked in anticipation.

"It will lead you to it," the King said. "If you surmount the challenges contained therein. It is a task constructed to prove the worth of one who desires to reach the ancient land of Hyrule."

"What kind of challenges will be in there?" Link asked.

"I do not know," the King told him. "The goddesses will decide."

Link glanced back at the statue, and to his shock saw that the pearl was gone. Right as he was beginning to gasp, the King of Red Lions interrupted.

"Remember, it is as I said. They have served their purpose," he reassured, "and have returned to their rightful owners."

Link relaxed. The wind bulged hard into the sail as they glided across the water. The tower grew taller, until it became an unfathomably large structure. A pounding noise, like the sound of a foundation stone behind dropped into place, finally echoed across the empty stretch of sea, and the tower ceased to rise.

"Gerudo," Link uttered in awe, "that... is big."

Link guided them into a circle of archways in front of the tower.
A large gilded arch adorned the tower's entrance. Though the structure was formidable, he did not feel the fear he'd felt so much in the past.

Trimming the sail, he steered the King of Red Lions into the tower itself. Braziers of white hot fire burned around him.

"This was just underwater," Link remarked, "how are these still lit?"

The King of Red Lions chuckled.

"You witness an ancient tower rise from the depths, and travel inside on a vessel that speaks, and you ask how the goddesses can cause mere torches to burn?"

"You have a point, I suppose," Link said.

"Be strong, be wise, and be brave," the King cautioned. "Though this tower is not one of evil, the goddesses have made it the final test. It is not easily overcome."

"Alright," Link said, grabbing his equipment, then he stepped onto the canal's stone edge.

As usual, the King said nothing more.

Link made his way towards the stairs leading up the tower. At first, Link jogged his way up the spiraling steps, then started to realize that was not the best idea.