Epilogue

THE PEN lifted from the paper. There was a long silence, devoid of the repeated scratching of the pen. The scribe looked up from his notes, and into the old man's eyes.

"So you set out for that new land," Prinn asked, rolling the pen around in his hands.

"Yes," Link answered. His voice was deeper, firmer than it had once been in those youthful days. 

"Then what?" Prinn asked.

"We explored for about two years, following the course of the wind."

The old man turned his gaze out the window.

"Then we finally found it. It was as if we had discovered the sacred realm of old, more grand I felt, than even that land I had seen in ancient Hyrule. We immediately began settling the land and making arrangements for my family to come and help us build New Hyrule."

Link pressed his face closer to the glass, as if the few inches he gained by doing so would bring the landscape into clearer view.

"I remember the wonderful years we had here, starting this all," he said. "I remember the first time I saw mountains, real mountains. The vast plains, the snow blanketed north, the deserts, all of it was so beautiful. There were some harsh winters. Some difficult setbacks. But through it all, I saw the world of the ancients rise from fertile soil."

"Through all that though, and even now, do you ever miss Outset Island?"

Link exhaled. "Sometimes. Living in the past is a rather depressing hobby though. Nothing ever changes."

Link moved his chair back to the desk.

"I miss Aryll too," he added. "She became a strong, unstoppable woman. She, in some respects, is the the reason why all this exists. I want you to dedicate the book to her."

"Of course."

Link got up from his chair. "I suppose that it is finished."

"Finished?" Prinn chuckled, "You sir, are finished. I however, am not."

"And I'm sure that you will do magnificently," Link said. "I'm quite sure you will also flood the narrative with your pension for flamboyant imagery."

"Oh master Link," Prinn grinned, "but that's how you sell it to em'!"

"I appreciate your enthusiasm Prinn," Link said, "but remember, I want the embellishments kept to a minimum."

"Well, the people will have a difficult time of it anyway," Prinn pointed out, his expression becoming more subdued, "Your history has a - ah, air of... unfeasibility."

"Yes," Link admitted, "I'm aware of that. I want to simply have an official history established to cut through all this filth that claims to speak the truth on my life."

Prinn gathered up his things, and the two walked out the door of the study and down the hallway.

"I'm glad that this wonderful new land has been established," Link said, "but I fear that all these wonderful things the people have, their prosperity, their fortunes, all these inventions..."

He sighed. "The people have decided that things like heroes and the goddesses are at best, things of the past, or at worst, things that don't exist at all."

"I think you may be exaggerating a bit master Link," Prinn suggested.

"Perhaps," Link said thoughtfully, "Perhaps not."

They continued through the castle. They passed some young boys, dressed in the uniforms of
new recuits. Link's gaze rested on the young guards.