XXVIII

DRAGON ROOST island was shadowed by a pillar of darkness.

The mountain that Link had once climbed seemed on the cusp of eruption, like any second, the column of smoke rising from its peak would change to a burst of smoke and ash.

"Well," Tetra said, "looks like we picked the perfect time to come here."

"And looks like Valoo chose the perfect time to take a holiday," Link said unsarcastically.

He anchored the boat just off shore like he had at his last visit, and they both got out, and stepped into the shallow water.

"So this is where your friends are from?" Tetra asked.

"You don't know Dragon Roost?" Link asked, "I would've thought -"

"Of course I know the place," she said with annoyance. "I asked it rhetorically more than anything else. I've been to here and other Rito post stations a number of times."

"How many places have you been?" Link asked. He glanced uncertainly up to the smoking volcano again. Seeing such a majestic peak was awe-inspiring... but he preferred Outset's smaller, less impressive ridge. It couldn't kill you.

"I've been more places than I could possibly remember," Tetra said. "All of the larger populated islands. We even took a long journey to the Labrynna mainland once, but the unrest there was too dangerous, even for us. That continent is an inhospitable place and I hate it. If our islands had anything to offer them, I assure you, they'd be plundering us all."

Link looked down as the volcanic sand they walked on gradually changed to stone. "I would've liked to see the old Hyrule continent," he said, "before it sank. Maybe Labrynna wouldn't have become so starved for resources if our continent had survived."

Tetra too, seemed to be taking in the volcano. "You think there's any chance of finding our sage here? I want to get out of here as soon as possible."

"I... I think I have to agree with you on that," Link said. 

It was a somewhat selfish thought. He cared about the Rito. However, he may be able to fight monsters, but natural disasters were something that were only prevented in the deepest words of Hylian lore.

As they came onto the wooden platforms that led to the Rito city, Link saw many Rito men and women flying about, many carrying supplies, and others just generally in a hurry.

When they came into the Rito city proper, the whole place was in an uproar. Everyone was running from one place to another, and it was impossible to make sense of anything. Although Link would've preferred discretion, he felt he didn't have time.

"C'mon," he said to Tetra, pointing to one of the tiers of the cavern, "follow me."

On another day, the sight of two Hylians would have turned some heads, but today, no one had the time to spare to so much as glance at them.

They finally approached the opening to the king's chambers.

"Excuse me," Link said, "I need to talk -"

"Hey," one of the guards said, "I know you."

"Yes," Link said, "I -"

"No," the other guard shook his head, his brow tightening, "her."

Link glanced to Tetra, and her face went slightly pale.

"I don't know what you're -"

"You're that Hylian pirate!" the first guard said, "that ruthless brigand who nearly hit me with a catapult!"