chapter 18

sokka's POV

i usually love parties, but i can't believe we're actually going to one that jet has invited us to. well, to be more precise, he invited zuko, and the rest of us are just coming along.

i hated when he was flirting with zuko and all i wanted was to wipe that stupid smile off his face-

"here goes nothing" i sigh and stop the car in front of the house where the party is taking place.

the whole gAang gets out and surprisingly, they are pretty excited. i can't even remember the last party we went to, so i adopt some of their enthusiasm unintentionally.

"just pretend we're not here because of jet and try to have some fun" katara pats my shoulder as we're heading towards the house.

"yeah, i'll do that" i assure her and she gives me a smile.

to be honest, all i want is to enjoy some time with my friends - especially zuko - and i hope i won't have to see jet's face too much.

"if the food is shit, i'm out of here" toph announces us when we get on the porch and aang giggles.

zuko takes a step forward and knocks on the door a few times, but i don't know if anyone can hear it because the music is really loud.

apparently, the door opens relatively fast and, guess who greets us?

"zuko! you're finally here" jet shouts and i can tell he's already a little tipsy.

he's holding a red plastic cup in one hand and with the other, he grabs zuko's hand to pull him inside.

he's already got his filthy claws on him and i wanna scream. we all get inside and this house is really huge, so there's plenty of space for all the guests.

there are dozens of people dancing together while colourful lights agressively hit every object in their way. some are drinking, laughing or making out in different places, getting maybe a little too comfortable, giving the circumstances.

"sokka, you're here!" some boys from the basketball team shout and rush over to me.

"hey guys" i say, but my eyes are searching for zuko through the crowd.

i can't see him, which means jet took him spirits know where.

"come on, captain, play with us" mason leads me to the other side of the enormous room.

i can't really protest, so i find myself playing beer pong with my team and some other people i don't recognise. however, i am incapable of focusing on anything they say or do, because i'm constantly looking for zuko.

not even once do i see him and it drives me mad. instead, i notice that aang and katara are dancing together, holding hands occasionally, while toph seems to have found some food, because she's busy stuffing her face. i'm glad the appear to be enjoying themselves, but where the hell is zuko?

"i'm going to the bathroom" i let someone know just so i don't seem rude for leaving.

i don't actually have to go, i just needed an excuse to get away from them. i make my way through the crowd, glancing at every face i encounter, but i'm getting more and more frustrated with every minute that passes.

after a while, i finally lay my eyes on him. he's leaning agains the wall, playing with a plasic cup and jet is saying something in his ear.

jet has one hand stuck to the wall, above zuko's head and they are way to close to eachother. it makes my blood boil so i stop at a reasonable distance.