chapter 31

zuko's POV

we decided it would be fun to explore the island, outside of the private property i inhereted from my mom, so here we are, in the town center.

it was an amazement for all of us to witness how... alive this island actually is. i don't usually enjoy crowded places, but seeing so many people, of various races and speaking different languages, all gathered together, gave me some kind of comfort.

everywhere i look, there are people laughing, dancing, children running around and playing games, merchants selling traditional food, clothes, and jewlery... everyone seems so happy.

"oh... my... spirits..." sokka gasps and speed walks to one of the stalls.

i follow him, in order to see what all the fuss is about, and i see him picking up a green and yellow bag, which he immediately buys.

"uhm- sokka?" aang raises an eyebrow. "what do you need a purse for?"

sokka glances at him, insulted, while the bald kid giggles.

"it is not a purse!" my boyfriend defends himself. "it's a man bag!"

we all laugh, because it actually is a purse that and, if you ask me, it's hideous.

"whatever you say, big bro" katara mocks him and takes off with aang, still chuckling.

sokka pouts, but he brushes it off quickly when him and i start wandering around from booth to booth, taking our time to admire everything. after about an hour or so, we call the others and we decide to go to a coffee shop.

we sit down at a table outside, under a huge ranibow umbrella, meant to shelter us from the burning sun. we get our cold drinks and start chattering, when i spot a group of people our age from another table glancing our way.

they are talking to eachother, while occasionally looking at us, until a girl dressed in pink clothes, with a long, braided ponytail stands up from her seat. she pulls by the sleeve another girl, dressed in all black, with two buns on the top of her head and a bored, annoyed look in her eyes, and they head our way.

as they're walking towards us, i notice another guy from their table, one with platinum blond hair and green eyes, glancing at me. we make eye contact, but he doesn't look away when i catch him staring, but instead, he smirks and winks at me. i turn my head back to our own table and i blame my burning cheeks on the heat.

"hey guys!" the girl wearing pink adresses us. "i'm ty lee, and this is mai"

she points at the girl in black, who just picks on her nails, rolling her eyes. she seem to have been forced to come here, but mumbles a breif 'hello'.

"anyways, you guys seem really cool and me and my friends-" ty lee gestures to their table. "-were wondering if you would like to come to a party we're throwing tonight"

we look at eachother, exchanging glances, and nobody seems to be against potential entertainment, so we shrug and accept.

"we'd love a party!" aang exclaims and smiles from ear to ear.

"great!" ty lee squeacks.

she proceeds to fill us in with all the details, about the location, time and whatever, then the two girls return to their table.

"ok, that was random" katara says and we have no choice but to agree.

"they seem nice though" june shrugs. "well, ty lee does, because the other one looked like the was thinking of ways to murder us"

we all giggle, but i believe she might be more than she lets others see. i also hate meeting new people, because i'm always awkward and incapable of making small talk, and i start stuttering like shit. she might feel the same, so i'm not gonna judge her for being withdrawn.