Chapter 12: First day back

Harry's Pov
Hermione had left from breakfast early to go to the library and we hadn't seen her since. Me and Ron were going back to the common room when she came running down the steps calling for us. "Where have you been?" Ron asked. "No where. I have potions first with Slughorn. What do you have?" She asked walking with us. "Nothing." I sighed. Ron nodded.

Hermione's Pov
There was only a hand full of students taking potions. Neither Harry or Ron were take the class which was a bit disappointing, but to my suprise Maddy wasn't here either. She was one of the best potions students in the school, maybe it was just when Snape was taking the class. There was a noice from the stairs and Harry and Ron stumbled in. "Harry m'boy! I was beginning to worry! And I see we've brought someone with us..." Slughorn greeted them. "Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace actually, so I probably should just be going --" Ron started to turn away. "Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Right then, books out --" Slughorn ushered "Um, sorry, sir, but I haven't got my book yet -- nor's Ron. You see -- (until this morning...)" harry was cut over by Slughorn. "Not to worry. You can get what you need from the cupboard." Both of them walked to the cupboard and seemed to be wrestling over something. Both returning to the class afterwards. "Now, as I was saying, I've prepared a few concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be? Yes, Miss...?" He asked me as I put my hand up. "Granger, sir. That one there is Veritaserum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. And that..." I said walking over to the different potions. "is Amortentia! The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and spearmint toothpaste --" i said losing my self. "Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love, of course. That's impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. For that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Slughorn took over. "Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." Katie Bell asked.

Ron's Pov
I got the better of the two books and now the class was being seated. "Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." Katie raised her hand. "Ah yes..." Slughorn started. "That's Felix Felicis." A voice sounded from the door way. All eyes moved to it. Maddy walked in and over to the Slytherin table. "Also known as liquid luck." She said sitting next to Draco. Her face was still pretty jacked up. Heaps of horizontal cuts down the left side of her face. "Correct. Miss Snape. Desperately tricky to make. Disastrous should you get it wrong. But brewed correctly, as this has been, it has remarkable powers. One sip and you will find that all your endeavors succeed... at least until the effects wear off." Slughorn tapped the tiny bottle. "But then why don't people drink it all the time?" Katie asked. "Because taken in excess it causes giddiness, recklessness and dangerous overconfidence." Slughorn said. "Have you ever taken it, sir?" Zabini asked from the Slytherins. "Twice. Once when I was twenty- four. Once when I was fifty- seven. Two tablespoons taken at breakfast. Two perfect days..." He said looking kind of dreamily. " So. This is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck... to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death, the recipe for which can be found on page ten of your textbook. You should know that in all the years of my previous tenure at Hogwarts, not once did a student brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. In any event -- good luck." He smiled and walked around watching everyone.

After time was up he placed a leaf in everyones. "Looks like me have two winners." He smiled as Harry and Maddy stood at the front of the class. He took the vial and handed it to Harry. He went over to the cupboard and got another one for Maddy.

Maddy Pov
I had won a bottle of Felix Felicis, this was great. I had no idea what I would use it for but I know it will come in handy. I had my spare now so I went down to Hagrid's hut.

I reached the door and knocked. "Ah, Maddy. Happy Birthday. Come in, come in got some one 'ere who w'at to see ya." Hagrid said as he opened the door. I walked in and he ushered me to sit down. Another man in a travelling cloak sat across from me. "Maddy this is Remus Lupin. Remus this is Maddy Snape." Hagrid introduced us and seemed to have a bit of difficulty saying my name. "I know very well who she is, thank you Hagrid." The man said. "And I have no idea who you are." I said. "That is precisely why I am here." Remus said. "Maddy when you were younger your father brought you to my family. You stayed with us for a while." He said knealing down to my height. "No that's impossible I was around a lot earlier than you. I lived with Poseidon on Olympus. Your lying." I said frustrated that someone would make up such a foolish lie. "It's not a lie. He left you this note, you ran away before I had a chance to give it to you. I was eleven starting at Hogwarts and my parents took you into hiding to protect you." He said pulling out an old letter. "No, your lying. I remember before then, or I used to it can't be. Protect me from what? I was perfectly safe with him." I said small bits of my memories with Poseidon as a child slipped into my mind. "Do you Maddy? You were a prize to all, gods, demi-gods, titans, the dark lord. Everyone wanted you and who ever didn't have you wanted you dead." He put the paper in my hand. I didn't even want to read it. "No, I..." I started but one memory came back to me.

------Memory-----

It was dark at night, there were noises all around. It was a blur. "Lyall please. As a friend look after her, protect her. No one is to know of her existence." It was Poseidon, he was holding my hand. I was in the form of a 6 year old standing in the door way of The Lupins house. I was crying and holding onto his leg. "No daddy. I don't want to go. Don't make me go!" I held on tightly. "Med you must go. There are dangers in my world I can't keep you from." Poseidon pushed against my grip. "Remus, come here." Lyall, Remus's father called out. "Here Med. Go with Remus." Hope his mother reached out her hand. I held onto it and the world folded into itself.

--------back to reality---------

"Why, why did he leave me with you." I asked scared now. "He knew my parents. He was always communicating with us, checking on you." He said comforting me. "Why are you telling me this." I said looking him in the eyes. "Because you deserve to know. And there is one more thing. Me and James Potter were and still are you godfathers." He said in a hushed whisper. I just stared at him. "I know this is a lot..." He started. "Then that makes Harry my...Why don't I remember it then?" I asked standing up. "Yes harry is your god brother. Your father lay an enchantment over you so you would remember a different story." He said equalling my height. "Look I dont believe you, or maybe I do. Thanks for the nice words but I shouldn't be here. I have quidditch trials this afternoon." I said walking slowly towards the door.

Lupin Pov

I didn't know how she would take it. Truthfully, it was worse than I thought. "Wait Maddy don't go." I said. She turned her head sent me a look of sacredness. I started to walk after her. She opened the door and started running back to the castle."No wait..." I started running after her.