one

Our Story is about a town, a small town, and the people who live in the town. From a distance it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world. Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer, though, and you start seeing the shadow underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale. And our story begins, I guess with what the Blossom twins did this summer. On the Fourth of July, just after dawn, Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to Sweetwater River for an early morning boat ride. The next thing we know happens for sure ist hat Dilton Doiley, who was leading Riverdale's Boy Scout Troop on a bird watching expedition, came upon Cheryl by the river's edge. Riverdale police dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body, but never found it. So a week later, the Blossom family buried an empty casket and Jason's death was ruled by an accident, as the story that Cheryl told made the rounds. That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water, and jason reached down to get it, and accidentaly tipped the boat, and panicked, and drowned. As for us, we were still talking about the „July Fourt tragedy" on the last day of summer vacation, when a new mistery rolled into town.

I skipped the last few steps and I could imagine how my mother would be pissed if she were at home. She and Dad had headed for the restaurant a few hours ago. The reason I was going downstairs was that our doorbell had rang and Betty didn't think she had to open it. I unlocked the door and saw Kevin, who immediately hugged me. Then he went up to Betty's room. I grabbed a bottle of Coke and went into my sister's room too. My sister was sitting at her dressing table and I lay down on the bed with Kevin. 

Kevin looked up from his cell phone and looked at Betty. "Are you excited, Nervous?" Betty turned around. , "Both! I haven't seen him all summer!" I rolled my eyes, I never understand her obsession about Archie. He isn't even sweet. "Which is why nerves are acceptable , but we agreed, Betty. It's time. You like him. He likes you." I snorted quietly, which is why Kevin poked his arm in my side. "Well, then why, Kevin, hasn't ever said or done anything." I agreed with Betty on this. "That's a good point, Betty." Kevin looked annoyed on me. "You are no help Kitty" Kevin looked again to Betty. "Because Archie's swell. But like most millenial straight guys, he needs to be told what he wants, so tell him. Finally." 

I unlocked my cell phone and start a round Candy Crush.  "Well, we'll see. I mean, it depends." I looked up, when Kevin dramatically said: Oh my god! Confused Betty and I said ,,What?" at the same time. "Game-changer. Archie got hot. He got abs now!" Betty and I both went to the window. I looked shocked to Archie's room. He still wasn't my type, but his abs were hot. "Six more reason for you to take that ginger bull by the horns tonight." I scrunched my nose.

I went back to Betty's bed while Kevin picked out the clothes for Betty. When she finished, she said goodbye to both of us. I called after her that she should always use contraception and then went to my room.

After the date with Archie, Betty came into my room and snuggled up against me, I asked her quietly what had happened and she told me that a girl showed up at Pop's and Archie had been staring at her the whole time. I calmed Betty down and we both slowly fell asleep.

***

The next morning I woke up early to find that the bed next to me empty. I went to my bathroom and got ready. I put on a jeans, a crop shirt and my boots. I took my big cozy jacket and then wanted to make my way down. As I passed my sister's room, I heard her and Mum talking. 

"Manetaining a decent character is hugely important. They do look at that." I rolled my eyes, sure my mum speaks with Betty about something like that. "Mom, I'm a sophomore." "You've accomplished so much. I just don't want anything jeopardizing that. I mean just think of your poor sisters. Polly was such a shining star before she let that Blossom boy ruin her. And Katherina doesn't make it easy for me either. She keeps disappearing overnight and she doesn't talk to me anymore. I am so glad that you are at least doing everything right." I rolled my eyes, my mum was such a drama queen and she loves to show that I was a fault. My Parents only wanted two kids. "Mom, I'm not Polly or Katharina." 

I went down the stairs, took something to eat and head to school. It was the first day after the holidays and everyone talked about Jason Blossom and his death. I stand with Midge and Kevin at my locker. Midge was talking about her holidays, she and Moose were together at the summer house of her family. Moose was walking by us and winked to Midge. "Yo Moose. Look who grew up over the summer." Reggie yelled, Moose went over to Reggie and Archie. Midge head to her class with the boys and Kevin and me went to our Science lesson. 

I heard how a new voice speaks. "So what's the social scene like here? Any nightclubs?"  I chuckled and Kevin jumps behind them. "A strip club called the Ho Zone and a tragic gay bar called Innuendo." "On the Southside are more bars but you shouldn't go there even if the drinks are fantastic." I added. Kevin chuckled and continue. "Friday nights, football games. Tailgate partie at the Mal-Mart parking lot. Saturday night is movie night, regardless of what's at the Bijou. Get there early because we don't have reserved seating in Riverdale. Sunday Nights? Thank god for HBO." I stand a few meters away. "Veronica Lodge, Kevin Keller. Veronica's new, Kevin is-" Veronica interrupts Betty. "Gay. Thank god. Let's be best friends." I don't like her. Betty turned to me.  "And that's my twin sister Kat!" I waved briefly and then checked my cell phone again. "Is it true what they say about your dad?" I chuckle everyone here knows who her dad is. "That he is the devil incarnate? I stand by my father. Does everyone here know?" Betty looked away slightly. "Wonderful. Ten minutes in and I'm already the Blue Jasmin of Riverdale High." Veronica walks away, Betty shot Kevin one last glare and followed her. Kevin followed them and me too. I didn't listen to them anymore, I just heard them talking about Archie, until Jason was mentioned. I left them behind and head to the room where the assembly gonna take place.

Slowly the places are getting fuller. I sat at the background alone. I was worried because he said he would inform us how he is, but we didn't get a Call or a SMS yet. "Thank you for that moment of silence. Many of you were lucky enough to have known my brother personally. Each and every one of you meant the world to Jason. I loved my brother. He was, and always will be, my soulmate. So I speak with the confidence only a twin could have. Jason wouldn't want us to spend the year mourning. Jason would want us to move on with our lives. Which is why I've asked the school board not to cancel the back-to-school semi-formal."

Everyone around us clapped.

"But rather, let us use it as a way  toheal, collectively and celebrate my brother's too. Too short life on this mortal coil. Thank you all."

After the end of her speak everyone left the assembly  and head to lunch. I sat with Cheryl and her two minions at a table outside. I saw the new girl going to the table of Kev, Archie and Betty and sat down there. Cheryl stand up and I followed her to the table of my sister. Before we reached the table, Archie got up and walked away. Then the others discussed something. When we reached the table they stopped talking. 

"Veronica Lodge. I'd heard whisperings. I'm Cheryl Blossom and that's Kat Cooper. May we sit? Betty, would you mind?" Betty slipped and Cheryl and I sat across from Kev and Veronica. "So, what are you three hens gossiping about? Archie's Efron-esque emergence from the chrysalis of puberty?" Betty shaked her hat, that means they were talking about Archie. "Extracurriculars. Weatherbee wants me to sign up for a few." I pray that she didn't ask her to be a part of the Cheerleading-Team. "Cheerleading. You must." My life hate me. "I am Senior captain of the River Vixens."  "Is cheerleading still a thing?" "Is being the gay best friend still a thing?" I rolled my eyes, can they please stop. Cheryl turned back to Veronica. "Some people say it's Retro. I say it's eternal and iconic." "At Spence, I sat at the top of the elites' pyramid. I'm in. Betty you're trying out too." Interesting. "Of course. Anyone's welcome to try out. But Betty's already got so much on her plate right now and being a Vixen is kind of a full time thing, but open to all. Follow me on Twitter and I'll do the same. My handle's CherylBombshell." I muttered a sorry to Kevin and follwed Cheryl. Cheryl and I locked our arms.