Chan | You're staring, part 1

You are staring. Again. Sitting on the floor, leaning back on this green wall, you are staring, again. At his back, at his broad shoulders, at the way his hands move around the keys, trying to come up with the melody. The music in your headphones is loud, fitting perfectly the atmosphere in this small room. And you just try to enjoy it, this atmosphere, the way you are close to him. Maybe, the closest you were since you two met.

Hate me, hate me, still tryna replace me
Chase me, chase me, tell me how you hate me

You can't help but hum. As quiet as you can, hoping he won't hear you. This song was stuck in your head the whole day, and when you finally found the time to listen to it, you couldn't help but put it on repeat. You couldn't relate to the lyrics, no. You were crushing on him so much it was too painful for you to imagine him saying that he was hating you. But the voices, the guitar, the beat, it all was hitting you right into your heart, and you couldn't hold yourself back.

Erase me, 'rase me, wish you never dated me
Lies, tell me lies, baby, tell me how you hate me

You close your eyes, leaning back even more, head resting against the green wall. The voice in your ears, sweet, filled with emotions, sings knowingly. And you dive into it, into the feeling it gives you.

I bet you don't kiss her with your eyes closed
I bet you're still walkin' on a tightrope
Miss me so much, you've been goin' psycho

It makes you shrug, his hand on your knee. You open your eyes to see him bending down, staring at you with worry. His fingers still patting your knee, a soft smile on his lips, "Are you okay?"

You smile anxiously, moving away, trying to squeeze into the wall. "What did you say?" You hurriedly turn your music off, finally glancing at him. It makes you feel uneasy, the way his face seams too close to yours.

"Are you okay?" Chan chuckles, moving away too, leaning back on his chair. "What's with this song? 'Hate me'?"

"Oh... This–" you look down to the floor, taking the headphones off your head completely. "Nothing, I just like how it sounds."

"Sure? Didn't you break up with someone earlier?" Chan tilts his head to a side, looking at you attentively. His eyes confuse you, making you clear your throat awkwardly. "No! I don't date!.." you shrug, acknowledging your mistake. "I mean– I do date, but I don't have a boyfriend right now, and I didn't break up with anyone."

"Cool," Chan smiles, turning back to his computer. "Just to clarify things," he coughs slightly, taping something on his keyboard. "I don't hate you."

"I know, thank you."

"So no need to stare at me like this."

Embarrassment feels your whole body, and you close your eyes as tight as you can, swearing under your breath. Chan just laughs silently, glancing at you. "I wasn't staring," you whine, crossing your arms on your chest.

"You were, don't lie."

"I wasn't!"

"You were!"

"Okay," you growl, finally standing up, stretching your arms and back. "I'm hungry. That's why. And I wanted to go to the shop. And I was thinking about how to ask you if you need something or not because I was afraid to interrupt you–"

"Really?" Chan swirls in his chair to see you, now looking up at you with a big smile on his smile. "Sweet," he chuckles, reaching out and patting your arm softly. "I'm hungry as heck. Let's go together."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I need to take a break."

"Okay..."