14. Charlie's P.o.V.

I opened Instagram and saw his new story. When I read the caption I immidiately closed it again. So he was in love. Why did he then bothered to text me? Why being so sweet to me? This little hope, that I started developing, fell appart.

I texted Ignazio: "I decided that I have to get over Gianluca. Please, if he asks about me, just tell him I'm busy and have no time to text. I need to get done with this part of my life." After I sent it, I felt a little over dramatic, but it was true.

After a while I saw Ignazio calling me. When I picked up, he looked concerned and said: "Hey, I saw your message. I thought things were getting better. Why the sudden change? Did you argue about something?"

I didn't want to tell him, that it was because of his story, as it wasn't the only reason, so I simply said: "I made myself too much hope. I need to forget him." He sighed.

"Why? What?", I asked.

"I don't know, I mean, I thought he might fall in love with you. You know, since you started texting he looks so happy. Like, really happy all the time!"

Yeah, just not because of me, I thought.

"See! Hope again!", I sighed, "My boss was planning to send someone to a conference in Belgium and I think I might ask him to take me. It'll distract me for a while."

"So you won't come next week?"

"I'm sorry. I miss you all so much, but I don't think I could handle it. I've decided. Please, don't be mad at me."

"Do what you think is right."

I quickly whiped away a tear. He looked so sad.

"Hey, don't cry. Just text me your schedule later. We'll meet when you come back."

I nodded and we said goodbye.

That evening I called my boss and he agreed to send me to Belgium. I will be staying for a week. I got the extra weekend too, because there were no other flights without transfer for earlier.

My departure was in two days.

***

The next day Gianluca has texted me in the morning, which made me very happy but also very sad. I replied, that I had a busy day and we didn't talk after that. Piero texted me, too, telling me, that Ignazio had explained everything to him. He wished me to have a safe journey and to call anytime.

I was so happy to have them. I knew, they were disappointed, because I had promised to visit them, but they understood that it would be hard for me and I needed this time away.

***

I was in Belgium. I concentrated on my work and in the evenings I went around and just relaxed. I tried to forget about my feelings and spent a lot of time with my colleagues. They didn't know about my problem, but they were a pleasant distraction for me and I felt very comfortable around them.

I still didn't know how I would be able to meet the boys. I missed Piero and Ignazio but I still had this special longing for Gianluca. We couldn't just meet without him, so I had to prepare myself to act normal when I get back.

It was actually my last official day of work. Which means, I had the weekend left, to clear my mind.