Fight For Freedom

You were finally finishing up Erwin's remaining paperwork in the early afternoon when there was a knock on the door. Hange, Levi, and Mike were watching the kids with the Scouts, as well as training in preparation for future missions, knowing that the two of you were the best to do paperwork.

"Come in," Erwin calls, not even bothering to look up from the paperwork in his hand, his jaw moving on your shoulder where he was resting his head.

"Good afternoon, Commander Erwin, Captain (Y/N)," Pyxis says, stepping into the room, with Nile on his heels.

"Ah, Commanders. How are you two today?" you ask, rising from Erwin's lap to stand next to him, saluting the two commanders.

"Quite well, thank you," Nile hums as Erwin sets down his paperwork.

"What can we do for you two?" Erwin prompts, looking up at the two men as they take seats across the desk from him.

"I've heard your brood has gotten larger than the last time we've spoken," Pyxis comments, taking out his flask.

"Indeed it has. But, what does this have to do with anything?" Erwin asks, leaning against the desk.

You take a seat in the chair next to the desk, unsure if you should leave or stay.

"I'm sure that you're aware, under normal government regulations, that would be quite the sum of paperwork to fill out -" Pyxis pauses to wait for a response, continuing once Erwin nods his head - "However, Nile has brought it to my attention that there aren't any protections in place for orphans, apart from the farms."

"So, we were thinking that perhaps instead of continuing with the farms, we drafted a protection act. Now, this doesn't mean the established farms would be dismantled, simply that farms that are mysteriously destroyed containing kids from the fall of wall Maria - as well as kids who were never assigned to farms -,, would be directed towards the Scouts."

"Is there a reason for our division, and not one of yours?" Erwin presses, arching an eyebrow at the two men.

"Two in fact. The Scouts are the ones who have been the closest to titans, you know better than any of us how to assist with trauma. As well as how you five continue to take in lost kids."

"It could work," you blurt out, shutting your mouth as all three men's gazes snap to you, "The squads already help to take care of the orphans, without being asked. You know the others will agree to it without a second thought."

Erwin nods his head slowly, contemplating the proposal. He reaches into his desk drawer, extracting a blank piece of paper to write on.

"Well, if we're all for this then, what are we going to call it?" he asks calmly. You can hear the joy that laces the edges of his tone as he struggles to keep a stern face in front of Pyxis and Nile.

"The 104th protection act. That's the number they'd have if they were cadets," you propose immediately.

Nile nods his head in agreement.

"It'll be much easier to get the king's approval if we brand it as a military strategy."

The four of you spend the rest of the afternoon, and well into the evening, drafting a proposal for the protection act. Getting every detail right until you were sure it would be passed. When Pyxis and Nile leave for the day, they take it with them. Promising they'd let you know the moment that it passes.

You spend the rest of the night tucking in your little ones. It's not too hard to find them in the mess hall; you notice Levi's squad taking care of Mikasa, Eren, and Armin; Mike's squad is watching over Ymir and Historia; and your partners are making sure Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie eat their dinner.