Chapter 18

The kiss was brief, with Thorin's warm lips barely lingering on Ora's for more than a moment before he drew away, leaving her lost for words, her head swimming pleasantly.

"Wow..." She nearly giggled, a goofy smile on her lips as she swooned and swayed a little on the spot. If it wasn't for Thorin's firm grip still around her she probably would have toppled right over.

"What were you saying?" He asked, a small smirk playing on his lips.

Ora stared at him for a moment, being in no rush to shake off the blithe effects of the kiss. "I have no idea."

"Does it matter?"

"No..." She trailed off. If she wasn't mistaken, she would swear she was drunk. She leant into his warmth some more, savouring the feel of his hard, strong body against hers. She rested her head on the soft furs of his coat, smiling to herself when she felt the gently scratches of his beard against her skin when he kisses her temple. Then she frowned, sobering up a little. "What does this mean?" She asked cautiously.

"It means..."

"Consort in training?" Ora offered, lifting her head a little.

Thorin chuckled, "I was going to say Formal Suitress."

"As long as I'm not a bed maiden I don't mind what you call me."

Thorin didn't get the chance to reply. One of the doors on the far side of the room opened, and through it a serving girl appeared, a few other servers followed in her wake, each carrying silver trays and platters.

Ora immediately withdraw from Thorin, flattening her skirts promptly. She glanced up at the king, "If I didn't know you better, I would think you're trying not to laugh at me. But, of course, the king would never be so rude." She tried to sound as serious as possible, but she was jesting. Thorin's eyes twinkled.

"Never." He then tilted his head towards the table, "Shall we?"

.

.

.

"What happened?"

"Ora!"

"Tell us!"

Ora couldn't stop grinning, in fact, she had not stopped grinning since Thorin had kissed her last night. Honestly, Mahal knows she was grinning even in her sleep.

"Oh, ladies," Ora swooned a little in remembrance of the kiss that even now lingered devilishly on her lips. "I am not one to kiss and tell."

If she'd thought her friends had been beside themselves before, they'd reached a whole new level of excited now. In fact, Marg jumped up from the stool she was barely perched on the end of in anticipation, raised her arms above her head and screamed.

Ora laughed, trying to hush her friends, "For the love of Durin, would you not!" She hissed through giggles, glaring playfully at the three of them, "You must swear to never tell!"

"Never ever? Heaven's, Ora, I think people will notice someday." Ava winked, barely able to stop fidgeting with excitement.

"This causes for a celebration!" Announced Uli, standing up and clapping her hands almost with a sense of command.

"No it doesn't." Ora replied nervously.

"Yes it does! We will celebrate in the same fashion as if any of us was being courted."

"And how is that?"

"With wine, of course!"

"I'm supposed to be meeting the Thorin later, it's hardly proper if I turn up drunk."