Chapter 9

Ora found herself actually enjoying the king's company, although she found herself doing most the talking. Whenever she was placed in an awkward situation she'd do this annoying thing that Giora called 'verbal diarrhoea' where she just wouldn't stop talking. However, the king didn't seem to mind actually, he wasn't much of a talker and seemed completely content with Ora chatting away. She was trying to pry stories out of him though, of their quest and how they reclaimed Erebor.

"You do not know the stories?" He asked her, taking another sip of wine. They were at the dinner table by now, having just finished a hefty starter. Ora had never had food like the sort they were being served, and she cherished every mouthful.

"Of course I do." Ora fidgeted in her seat, "But it was be an honour to hear it from you."

Thorin raised his brow a notch, and Ora thought for a second that she may have come across too forward. She was about to sprout apologies but the king beat her to it.

"If you wish." He nodded, and Ora had to subtly hold her chin to stop it from dropping in surprise. "But it's a long one, so maybe for after dinner. For now I'm enjoying your stories."

Ora nodded eagerly, wondering if the wine had gone to her head. She wasn't a lightweight, but that wine was certainly stronger than the below average liquid she usually stomached in the main hall. She briefly wondered if she'd ever be able to eat normal food again, after tasting the amazing cooking she was eating now everything in comparison would be so dull. Although, she was interested to see what the dessert would be.

As the evening progressed her suspicions were confirmed that Thorin never laughed. Occasionally an expression that might pass as a smile graced his features, but his frown lines were far more indented than his smile lines. For some reason Ora found herself wishing he did smile more, or at least attempt to, it would definitely make him more approachable, and less grumpy. She didn't dare think about the fact that the small smile he rarely showed was actually rather handsome.

After the main Ora was so full she could have sworn she'd have to roll home rather than walk, but she was unable to dwell on this issue for long because soon enough dessert came out.

As per, she thanked the serving girl and blinked inquisitively at the dish before her.

"It is something Bombur made up, especially for you." Thorin said, noticing her puzzled expression. Ora raised her brow at him. "I thought you might appreciate it."

She did appreciate it, and in fact she was totally fascinated by the round, white thing that seemed to wobble around her plate. It was like jelly, but a little more dense, and when she put a bit on her spoon and raised it to her mouth she moaned (rather indignantly) at the taste that engulfed her senses. "This is incredible." It wasn't what she was expecting that's for sure. She assumed it would be fruity and light, like jelly. But it wasn't, it was thick, creamy, and tasted strongly of vanilla with a dash of honey. "I love vanilla."

"Oh, aye?"

Ora moaned around another spoonful, half in agreement, and half in appreciation. "Compliments to the chef!" She grinned so broadly her eyes disappeared behind her apple cheeks.

After dinner, there was more wine and Ora was definitely beginning to feel the effects of it. Although she could control herself she was definitely more relaxed now. Which just might be a good thing.

When they retired to the arm chairs by the fire again, she no longer sat awkwardly on the edge but relaxed fully into the plush, soft cushions.

"That was wonderful, thank you so much."

Thorin nodded at her, "It was my pleasure."

Ora blushed. "Although, I will blame you if I am no longer able to eat the food in the dining hall. I fear that meal has changed me. I'm spoilt." She jested, grinning almost playfully at him.