Chapter 35

"Where are you going?"

Ora stopped in her tracks, but for a moment or two she didn't turn around. Were they definitely talking to her?

Foots steps began to walk towards her and her shoulders sank.

"Ora?" The voice called again, finally reaching her as she turned round to come face to face with a rather puzzled looking Fili. His hair was a little dishevelled, and she couldn't help but notice his lips here a little red. She blinked a few times and tried to ignore it.

"Yes?" She asked instead, trying really hard to look him in the eye.

"Where are you going?" He repeated, turning to glance back at the Hall. "It's not even late." He paused, " Wait, is it?"

Ora rolled her eyes, "It's late enough. Good night, Fili." She turned to leave again but Fili grabbed her arm. She raised her brow at him.

"Are you trying to sneak away?"

Ora huffed, "Pfft, no."

Fili stared at her, waiting for a different answer.

She sighed, "No, well, a little, but I want to leave, Fili. And I don't want to make a scene or a massive hoo-ha. I just want to go to bed."

"A 'hoo-ha'?" Fili smirked.

"Yes." Ora pressed, "Thorin will no doubt want to walk me home which is literally not that far away and others will watch and start talking and I really can't be bothered with that right now." She held her head in her hands, "Please can you just tell your Uncle I became unwell and wanted to go to bed."

"I'm not lying to him, Ora." Fili laughed, "And he'll also ignore me for the rest of my life if I let you walk home on your own. Let me walk with you."

Ora nodded, albeit a little reluctantly. She'd gotten used to be treated like a soft, squishy baby who can't look after herself over the past few months. She decided in certain circumstances it was easier to just go with it.

"Fine." She replied, letting Fili loop his arm through hers as she led them in the direction of her home. "But what will you tell Thorin once you're back?"

"I'll tell him you wanted to leave and you didn't want to make a hoo-ha," He couldn't keep a straight face when he said that word. "Isn't a hoo-ha a ladies... you know?"

Ora gave him a quizzical look, "Excuse me?"

Fili didn't reply, he just laughed.

By the time they reached Ora's home she'd nearly entirely forgotten the negativity of the evening, Fili managed to lift her spirits just enough to keep her thoughts from trailing into darker waters.

"Are you sure you don't want to come back?" Fili asked her once they'd reached Ora's door.

"Yes. I'll probably see you tomorrow. I'm sure your Uncle will want a written report and representation stating at least fifteen justifiable reasons as to why I couldn't say goodbye to him."

Fili snorted, "Well, if you're sure. I'll bid you good night."

"Good night, Fili. Enjoy the rest of your evening, and thank you for walking me back."

"Don't thank me," He replied, holding up his hands as he stepped away, "I know you didn't want me to." He laughed again, "Sleep well."

.

Ora wasn't sure what time it was when she woke, but it was either extremely late or extremely early. She blinked her eyes wide open and rolled over, meeting one of Thorin's coats that had become a common addition to her bed covers. She involuntarily inhaled the smell and groaned as she rolled back onto her back.