9. The Map Room

Play - Baboshka by Kate Bush

"Ye, we found this, it was inside the griever Athena managed to kill.'' Thomas said while Newt, Athena and Gally inspected the silver cylinder, Newt was holding.

"These are the same letters we get on our supplies." Newt pointed out looking towards the group.

"Yeah. Whoever put us here obviously made the grievers too. Now this is the first real clue, the first anything you've found in over three years. Right Minho, Athena?"

"Right," Minho replied as Athena nodded her head.

"Newt we gotta go back out there.Who knows where this might lead us." Thomas said his voice laced with pleading.

"You see what he's trying to do right?" Gally questioned Newt while pointing at Thomas. "First he breaks our rules, and tries to convince us to abandon them completely."

"That is not what he's saying at all Gally," Athena replied, growing tired of Gally's pettiness.

"Just because you got away with breaking a few rules doesn't mean that he can too." He said as he walked up and stood in front of Athena. "He's basically another you. Except you're becoming worse. First when you're a Track-How you run into the maze and save someone's life, then you become a runner and now you've done it again except you made it through a night and killed a griever. Does this not all seem a little suspicious to you all; she comes in being to remember every little detail about anything, and then she's also weirdly good at any type of combat. I don't know about you but I'm starting to get a little gut feeling that Athena isn't who she really says she is." taunting the amber eyed girl.

"Well one its called photographic memory, two i know just as much as you when it comes to how I learnt to defend myself and three I did what I had to do both times to keep the people I care about safe. So if you have any problem with that you're nothing but a cold hearted bitch." Athena said looking Gally straight in the eyes.

As Gally was left stuck without anything to fireback at the girl he turned around to continue his conversation with the other, which in reply she scoffed and under her breath said; "pinchazo sangriento (Fucking prick)" Which caused Newt who was the only one to hear it, bite back a smile  at once again another familiar phrase.

"Wha-- the rules are the only things that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that?" Gally said staring down Newt, "If Alby was here he would agree with me. This shank needs to be punished." pointing towards Thomas.

As Newt struggled to find a solution he nudged Athena for some guidance, to which she stood on her tiptoes and whispered something the others couldn't hear which caused Gally to scoff at the pair. Newt nodded at her in agreement then passed the cylinder back to Minho and spoke up; "You're right. Thomas broke the rules. One night in the pit with no food."

"Oh come, on Newt. one night in the pit? You're really gonna sit here and let your little girlfriend take charge, you really think that's gonna stop him from going into the maze?" Gally said, outraged by the decision.

"No." Newt said remaining calm, And we can't just have none runners, running into the maze whenever they feel like it. So let's just make this official, starting from tomorrow you're a runner."

The group's silence was enough for Newt to know they agreed with the decision, "Wow" Gally expressed while walking away, "It's not the runner part I have a problem with, it's the fact you're letting him get away with breaking the rules so easily that bothers me." Turning back to look at the group.

"As a matter of fact Gally, Thomas is getting the exact same sentence that I did when I pulled my 'stunt' as you like to call it.And you're right when you compared the situations together, Thomas had the same motive and same outcome, it only makes it fair that he gets the same treatment." Athena pointed out to the builder trying to get him to be reasonable for once in his life.