Chapter 9

Hiccup's POV

In the distance, I could see a very faint green painting the horizon line between the sky and the sea. My arms were burning from the several hours of rowing I'd done. I'd taken many breaks, but that still didn't stop the aching exhaustion I felt.

I was sorely tempted to stop rowing and just sleep right there in the dinghy. But then the ocean would have full control over the dinghy, and I could float anywhere. I could even drown out here, if that's what the Gods were planning for me.

I set down the oars and let my head flop back, shutting my eyes. I evened out my breathing, which was labored from the exertion. I didn't hear the oar slip out of its place until a little splash sprinkled water on my arms, and I opened my eyes. "No no no no no!" I cried out, attempting to grab the sinking oar. But it sunk fast, and my fingertips just brushed the oar as it slipped deeper. With my heart racing I reached lower into the water, trying to grasp it back. But it was gone.

Pulling my hand out, I yelled in frustration, slamming my fist on the rim. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the other oar slipping. I grabbed it just in time and held it tightly in my hand. At least I still have one I thought, however irritably.

Sighing, I moved to the front of the boat. I started to row one-oar style, paddling on. There's gotta be an island nearby.

But after another half an hour of rowing, I still hadn't found an island. Pausing once more, I looked at the horizon. It was now a yellow-green color, filling up an ⅛ of the sky. The rest of the sky was blue, lighter blue following the yellow-green before it blended into the darker blue half.

I felt the familiar growing feeling of fear in my stomach. Part of me was wishing I hadn't snuck off the ship. At least I wouldn't be feeling as afraid and hopeless as I was now. Or as cold.

I shook my head violently, picking up the oar once more. "I can't give up." I stated firmly. "I won't give up." To keep my spirits up, I thought of Toothless and Astrid. Toothless must be so worried, and Astrid...

Astrid. For a fleeting moment, I could picture Astrid's azure eyes shining like diamonds. I could clearly hear her voice, calling my name.

It was like a fire had been lit in my head. A fresh surge of determination flared inside me, urging me to keep going. With a deep breath, I started rowing. Do it for Astrid. Do it for Toothless. Do it for Dad and Gobber and the rest of the gang.

. . .

I kept rowing on, taking shorter breaks than before. And though my arms were burning, the thought of Astrid and the will to see her again was almost blocking out the pain.

And finally, finally, I saw the one thing I desired more than Astrid at the moment:

Land.

Hi guys!

Just wanted to tell you guys, that I'm afraid that this story will not be as long as I said in the description of this fanfic, or how I originally intended. But I'm still shooting for Hiccstrid in the hopefully nearby future (for all you Hiccstrid shippers :D)

And after this story, I am planning to post my "new" HTTYD fanfic "The Oracle Amulets: The Amulet Guardian". I have posted this story before, but because it didn't do so great I took it down. But when I finish Wanted: Hiccup Haddock III, I would like to retry posting it! So, if you guys are curious about that, you have that to look forward to after this fanfic is done.

And finally but sadly, I am not planning a sequel to this book. I'm sorry if you were hoping for a sequel.

Anyways, I hope you all are doing well. Stay healthy, safe, and I'll see you at next week's chapter! 😊

-Goth80sMovieGirl14