chapter 3

Hey Rose."
I was walking with Seamus towards the Great Hall when I heard myself called.
"Hi Roger" I said turning around, finding myself face to face with Roger Davis.
The only things I know about him are his name and house, Ravenclaw. I assume he's my age judging by his features, neither immature nor developed.
"How are you?" he asked trying to come across as calm, but obviously nervous.
"Fine thanks, you?" "Just fine."
There was a long moment of silence, where he just looked at me, smiling. Before now we had only talked during spells and things strictly related to the subject.
"Alright then I'm off, I just wanted to say hello" he said breaking the silence.
I just nodded with a smile that I tried to make reassuring, even if confusion and embarrassment reigned inside me.
As soon as he left, Seamus turned to me.
"What was that?" he said trying to hold back his laughter.
"Nothing. He was just trying to be nice" I replied confidently enough, but inside I was anything but confident.
"Oh no, that was a desperate attempt at flirting. Poor deluded guy is convinced he has a chance with you" he said now unable to hold back his laughter.
"Stop it Seamus, that's not true! I told you he was just trying to be nice and polite," I said a little annoyed by my friend's behaviour.
"And just so you know if I got to know him better and he asked me out I would accept!" I didn't really mean it but I hoped it would annoy Seamus so he would shut up.
"Yeah, right," he said to tease me, but with a tone of insecurity in his voice.

In the meantime we arrived in the Great Hall and sat down at the Gryffindor table with Neville and Dean, also two of my close friends of the same age and house.
We started talking about the latest news, but before long I started scanning the Slytherin table for Adrian.
Before long I met his gaze and we looked into each other's eyes for a while. It felt like time had frozen, again.
"Rose what do you think?" asked Dean, causing me to break eye contact with Adrian.
"Sorry, I wasn't really listening" I replied, shaking my head minimally in an attempt to banish my thoughts to focus on my friends.
Dean was about to open his mouth to explain when he was interrupted by Seamus.
"Don't tell me you were thinking about Davis?" said Seamus rolling his eyes, visibly bored.
"Did I miss something? Why would Rose be thinking about Davis?" said Neville, a mix of curiosity and confusion in his eyes.
Seamus was about to reply when I interrupted him "Seamus can't tell when people are joking" I said, amused by the situation. After this sentence I saw Seamus much more relaxed, like after a stressful day you take a nice hot shower.
"What were you talking about?" I said before the other two could ask any more questions.
They resumed their conversation this time paying attention to me.