chapter 13

I walked into the classroom carefree, until I saw him. Seamus.

He was sitting in his usual seat, third row by the wall.

Next to him an empty seat. The one I usually occupied.

I felt a knot rise in my throat.

I hadn't spoken to him since yesterday. Not since he had confessed his feelings to me.

I couldn't choose another seat. It would have made him suspicious and probably broken his heart.

I took courage and walked to my seat.

On the way some students greeted me and I greeted them back, which made Seamus turn towards me and realising that I was walking towards him he greeted me with a big smile.

"Hey" I said with a smile, sitting down next to him.
"Hi" he continued to look at me with a smile.

We didn't take our eyes off each other until Professor Flitwick, the Professor of Spells, cleared his throat and started talking.

He was very short, so no one ever saw him come in, as the door stayed open until class started and he always arrived a few minutes early.

However, in the time that Seamus and I were looking into each other's eyes I didn't feel a magical, or at least pleasant, sensation. I could clearly see that he was lost in my eyes, but I was not.

In fact, I was more scared of what might happen than immersed in the moment.

It had nothing to do with how I felt every time I was with Adrian.
Adrian, why do I always end up thinking about him when I should be acting like I don't even know him.

"Okay okay. Eyes on me please," said the professor.

The beginning of the lesson interrupted both my thoughts and my eye contact with Seamus.

Fortunately, the lesson was only theoretical.
We did not have to work in pairs or even talk. We only had to listen and take notes, which minimised the awkwardness I felt due to Seamus' presence, which I found awe-inspiring anyway.

When the bell rang, I got up and tried to leave as quickly as I had done in the previous lesson.

"Rose," Seamus called, grabbing my arm so that I could stop.
"Sorry Seamus I have to run to class."
"Of course it's fine! I was just wondering if you could help me brush up on my Astrology later."

The word astrology made me jump.
I couldn't help but immediately think of Adrian and his knowledge of the subject.
But also the fact that Seamus never had any problems with the subject, which he was particularly good at.

"Alright, I'll see you later," I remained vague, not sure if I felt like seeing him right after class.
"See you at lunch!" but he anticipated me, giving me an appointment for lunchtime.

-
After finishing class, lunchtime soon came.
"I'm here! " I said as I reached my group of friends, who were waiting for me in the corridor that led straight to the Great Hall.

"Finally!" said Dean and we all started walking down the long corridor.

We were just about to cross the threshold of the Great Hall when Hermione came in all flustered.

"Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to steal Rose from you during this meal," she said, grabbing my arm and starting to drag me into the Great Hall.

"I'll see you later" I shouted giving a hypothetical smile to my friends, who were looking at us dumbfounded.
"Remember you have to help me study this afternoon" Seamus shouted in reply, not rebelling as they disappeared from my sight after a short while.

"Tell me Hermione" I said as I took a seat where she pointed.
"I found someone!" she told me excitedly.
"For?" I asked confused.
"Don't tell me you've forgotten" she said half offended and half stunned.

I kept looking at her with a dumbfounded expression.

"The kiss" she said practically screaming.
"Shhhh" I said looking around, trying to see if anyone had heard "But I never said yes to you" I said shocked.
"But you need to. To clear your head, you said so yourself."
"I meant to think, by being alone for a while-" I began to gesticulate in a more pronounced way than usual, or you know I did when I was very angry or agitated. "-don't go smooching someone," a shocked look appeared on my face.

"Okay I might have misunderstood-" she told me, finally starting to come to his senses "-but now I can't say no to him. He seemed so excited" guilt began to flood her eyes "Look on the bright side! It'll be tomorrow" she said trying to get my anger down, and consequently feeling less guilty.

"You're kidding I hope." I was incredulous. "At least tell me who it is"
"Flint"
"By Flint do you mean Marcus Flint?" I asked with concern rising higher and higher.
She nodded
"Marcus Flint the Slytherin Quidditch captain."
She nodded again, her gaze starting to get more and more satisfied, thinking I was interested.
"Marcus Flint Adrian's best friend?" I said moving a drop closer to the girl's ear.
"Oh," her expression slumped. Realising she had done more damage than hail.