CHAPTER 3 - ALI

Sunday was uneventful, Charlie took me out for lunch and then dropped me off at Lucy's shop to do a pre-nuptial shoot with the couple, the same bride who tore her dress. For dinner, Liam and Lucy reserved us a table at the Ritz; I gave Liam an earful, telling him to stop asking people to babysit me. Imagine having a curfew at twenty-six, just the mere thought of it makes me shudder.

I just finished my first class this Monday morning, it was sunny, so I left my car in the university and walked in search for a coffee shop since my next class isn't until two o'clock. I settled on Rustic Café, they offer coffee refills and a free donut for first timers; I pushed the door and the little bell alerted the barista, prompting him to welcome me "Welcome to Rustic!"

I was standing in line when my phone buzzed, an incoming call from Peter. Peter Lawson's a good friend of my parents, he owned the law firm where Jason and his colleague works. I take the call and press a finger on my other ear to block out the coffee machine and chatter around, "Hey, Peter."

"Ali?" he called back, huffing as if he walked flights of stairs and was out of breath, "How are you, kid?"

I knew my dad must have placed a call, even when I told him not to. I hesitated but let out a sigh, "I'm good. Look, Peter, I'm sorry if my dad—"

He cut me off, "Yeah, your old man called but that's not why I was calling. My grandson, Caleb, you met him right?"

I nodded, even though he can't see me and muttered a yes.

"He's obsessed with Scouts' Honor and I was wondering if you'd know where we can buy the original cover of the first volume? Kids nowadays, I mean, why do the covers matter anyway if it's the same content" he went on, sounding annoyed.

I couldn't hold back a giggle, "It's no longer sold in stores, that's why. But I got you, Peter. I'll have our team check our inventory and have them mailed to Caleb".

Scouts' Honor is an ongoing graphic novel that I work on with a group of friends. Back when I was in senior high, my good friend Tom and Taylor wrote a short story in one of their classes and when they got praises from their teacher, the idea of turning it into a graphic novel was born. They asked me to illustrate the whole thing, and I didn't exactly think it'd be a big hit but after the first hundred copies, which Taylor's parents funded the printing, our website received a lot of emails requesting for the next volume.

We were contacted by a publishing house just a few years ago, but by then, Scouts Honor had a pretty good following and fan base that we decided to create our own publishing house, TATS Publishing – stands for Tom, Alison, Taylor and Sam.
He thanked me, gave a piece of his mind about the Jason fiasco, and I rolled my eyes at that. Peter disconnected our call, right when it was my turn to order.

I found an empty couch by the window and pulled-out Chuck Palahniuk's Rant. I just passed chapter five when my order came, I started to move my things out of the way so the waitress can put my order down, "An extra donut, on the house" I stopped and turned to see Geo placing my plate on the table.

He smiled, "Welcome to Rustic, Ali".

I was still stunned by his presence but managed to return a smile, "Hey! Sorry we had to leave last Saturday, we were in a hurry" I explained.

"It's cool" Geo waved his hand as if to signal no big deal. He was wearing the Rustic shirt, which fit him perfectly, I swear I can make out a washboard. He laughed and I realized I was ogling him again, I smiled sheepishly and offered the seat across me.

Geo sat down, and I panicked, I didn't want to get him in trouble "Oh sorry! I know you're working, will your manager—" he cut me off, but before he can open his mouth, a woman in a white blouse approached our table glaring at Geo.

"Geo!" he turned his head lazily, and his face couldn't be more annoyed.

"Excuse me, ma'am. I'm really sorry, I was the one who asked him to sit here, he's not skipping work or something" I hurried to explain before things got out of hand, but Geo and the woman roared with laughter.

"I'm sorry" the woman said, wiping tears, "Geo's not an employee."

I stare at her dumbfounded, then Geo spoke, "My family owns Rustic, Ali. Jill" he addressed the woman, "what do you need?"

"Well first, I need you to stop being rude and introduce me to your lady friend," she eyed me cautiously, as if waiting for a reaction.

Geo rolled his eyes, "Jill, this is Ali, I met her last Saturday and she's not my lady friend", using air quotes as he said lady friend, "Ali, this is my younger sister Jill".

We exchanged pleasantries, and I prepared my coffee while Geo stepped to another table with Jill and animatedly tell him about the new marketing plan she has for Rustic this summer. A couple of minutes passed and Geo returned to my table with his own coffee and donut.

"So, where'd you guys run off to last Saturday?" stopping mid-sip, "Oh that reminds me, how was the guy who needed operation?"

I stared at him, confused. "Lucy said a guy had an operation in the hospital" he explained.

The memory dawned on me, "No one needed an operation, well at least not anyone I knew personally. Lucy was referring to my twin, he's a surgeon" I offered with a shrug.

"You have a twin?" he asked, extreme curiosity oozing from his voice.

I nodded, "Yup" popping the p, "He and Lucy have been together since college".

He bit into his donut and I couldn't help but watch as he glides his tongue over his lips to wipe off the sugar; I feel a heat prickle at the back of my neck, I tried to hide it by bringing the coffee to my lips. If he noticed, he didn't let on and finished off his donut.

***