CHAPTER 24 - GEO

We closed Rustic earlier today to pick up mom from the airport. She and Jill were talking animatedly inside the car as I load her luggage in the trunk, when I settle on my seat, she turned to me, "Are you bringing your girlfriend to lunch tomorrow?"

"Jesus, Mom. She's not my girlfriend" I say as I reverse the car out of the parking, but I instantly regret it as soon as it left my lips.

Mom looks scandalized, "Your father and I didn't raise you to be an asshole" she stated angrily.

I let out a sigh, "I'm not being anything mom, I'm just being honest. She and I are not in a relationship". Do I want us to? Sure, maybe – yes? I think at this point, Ali's not my girlfriend because I haven't asked her to be. I've never done commitments, so I don't have a single clue about courtship – geez, that's embarrassing at twenty-eight years old.

Mom stopped my incoming thoughts, "Well, Jill told me you've been treating her right, and that's good. But it's important that if you love this girl, you tell her". Love is too strong of a word, it's serious and yes Ali may have changed my ideals about relationships but I haven't figured if that's what I feel for her – Love.

Patrick moved in with Jill, since she was staying with mom, and because I moved out a couple years back. Patrick's been in love with my sister since they were five, he was our next-door neighbor; he's a finance director in one of the biggest banks in L.A., and grew up to be a respectful and loving man. Patrick and I get along well, he's looked up at me like a big brother but he's a quiet guy for most of the time.

When we arrived at the house, Patrick was waiting for us; he kissed my mom's cheek and helped me with the luggage. Mom updated us with the new branch, and how she's looking to put up another by the end of the year. Jill is cooking dinner, with Patrick assisting her, when mom addressed me, "You should invite Alison tonight".

I shook my head, "That's okay, she's out with her brothers today. She'll be at Rustic tomorrow to help us out".

"You're making her cook and serve?" Jill ask in disbelief and I shoot darts at the back of her head.

Mom caught on, "What did you sister mean by that?"

"Her full name's Alison Johnson-Wallis" I answer. When I first found out about Ali's secret life, I told Jill about it, leaving out the fact that she's also I.Sonjo – I don't think Ali will appreciate me blabbing her secret identity.

Mom's brows furrowed, confused and probably thinking if it answers anything. I guess the name registered because she looked at me with sad eyes, "George, she's the daughter of L.A's richest family?" I know that look, it's a look of pity – like I said, we're not poor but we're not close to how rich the Wallis' are.

"It's fine, she's different" I assure her. I'm pretty sure I fit in her world just the way I am, her brothers and father were nice and accepting – I stop my thoughts from moving further, she's not my girlfriend, so her family didn't mind me as much. Then quickly, I revert the thought too, no, her family's nice to you because they are nice people who look beyond someone's savings account.

"She really is, mom. Ali's simple and very down to earth; I wouldn't have known she's rich if Geo didn't tell me." Jill stated, and set the table for dinner. Mom smiled at me, patted my arm and told me she's looking forward to meeting her, and that's all that matters for me.

Last night, mom reminded us that we need to open early tomorrow because we're closing by lunch time to spend thanksgiving. I just parked at Rustic and check my phone for any messages from Ali, and there was one, sent minutes after I left my apartment.

My car won't start, so Lucy will pick me up and drive me there. See you in half an hour!

I check the time, she's probably on her way here now. I gather my things and rush inside Rustic, my speed surprised my mom, "Why are you in such a hurry?"