Ounces of Grief, Flickers of Hope

His Home

"Dead?" The question left Millie's mouth before she even had time to process Mary's words. Her mouth fell shut quickly and she looked down towards her lap.

Finn said nothing, perhaps to surprised to say anything. Millie didn't know, she refused to look his way. No one spoke for a good five minutes and Millie thought it might have been the most awkward minutes of her life.

"How did he die?" Finn finally broke the silence.

"You wouldn't be very surprised to know it was from alcohol poisoning I suspect? The old piece of shit finally had one to many and it killed him." Mary's words were harsh, part of Millie didn't blame the women for not caring.

Even if Finn's mother had not treated him much better than his father, Mary had taken abuse from Eric as well. Perhaps if the man had treated her better, Mary might not have turned to drugs.

"And you stayed with him this entire time?"

"Heavens no!" Mary's voice raised. "Finally left him about a year or so after you left home. The information just made its way towards my direction Finn and I thought you had a right to know as well so I started to look for you."

Finn bit his tongue to keep himself from yelling at his mother about referring to that place as having ever been any sort of home.

"So what... I'm just supposed to feel sorry for him now?" Millie heard the crack in voice and she squeezed his hand a little tighter under the table.

"I never said that Finn, I simply thought you should know." This time he said nothing.

"He treated both of us like we were shit on his shoe. I wouldn't blame you if you don't feel a spec of remorse...."

Mary focused her gaze on her son and then shifted to study Millie. For a long moment the three of them just watched one another.

"I'm not going to sit here and act like I am an innocent party Finn. Eric and I were never good parents to you, I know that."

"I hope you're not going to sit in front of me and ask for forgiveness."

"I'm not." Mary answered sharply. "You wouldn't grant it to me if I asked anyway."

"I don't know what you've been through since you left Finn, but you seem to have found a good place now, and a girl who cares for you."

Mary studied Millie again then turned a final look to her son. "Eric is buried back home, there was no funeral. Anyone who cared enough about him to have one died long ago. I just felt you needed to know. He is far better underground then above it in my opinion."

Finn bit his lip in thought looking anywhere but at Millie.

"I'm trying to fix myself Finn."

His eyes found his mother's again at those words.

"What?"

"I mean... get away from the drugs, I've been going to rehab recently and trying to sort things out. If you ever-"

Finn cut her sentence off. "I don't."