||CHAPTER 9||

||KIMULI||

I woke up in a good mood today. I feel like the sun is finally showing a good phase on me despite my horrible deeds to an innocent woman. Kelvin called at around four to tell me that they had finally nabbed the whole drug syndicate. I was close to shedding all my clothes, head to the bathroom and sing in the shower from relief. Finally, I do not have to worry about my business being in jeopardy. It was a gnawing feeling that I dreaded so much.

He filled me in on what he could. Even the main reason why he never gave me a heads up when I asked if there was anything I could do to help. He said was protecting himself, my friends and me. The rest he is going to have a personal meeting with me. In the meantime, I will work on thinking about what I can do to earn Zawadi's forgiveness. It bothers me like a plague. My guilt won't leave me alone and if I don't do anything to lift it I'll be going crazy.

We are having breakfast at the dining table. I am going through the Daily Newspaper reading the report on the syndicate. I'm not a newspaper guy but today, I had to buy it. Mom is quiet on her side. She seems to be in deep thought. I want to ask her about last night. However, it makes me feel as if I am intruding. But I have to know what she is up to.

"Mom, last night," she looks up at me with a hard look.

The translation is that she doesn't want to speak about it. I give her my puppy dog eyes. She can never resist those. She glares but I protest until she rolls her eyes and huffs in defeat.

"I was late from the set. We left the place at ten and the traffic was still heavy around the CBD," she says. I get wind that she is hiding a lot from me.

"And it ended up lasting you four more hours?" I ask curiously. She scowls at me and I smile. She can't fool me. She uneasily cuts on her bacon and takes a bite. Perhaps she is buying time to decide on what to tell me.

"Mom, you know you can tell me anything, right?" I say. She looks up chewing on her bacon. She waits until she swallows.

"How can I be sure you won't go spiralling around when I tell you whatever is going on?" she asks.

"Because I am promising not to," I smirk. If it is something worrying I will for sure go crazy. Though by her relaxed mood, I can see it isn't that bad.

"I told you about this new series we have been working on, right?" I nod. "The producer asked me for a late-night coffee on the first day of set. It's been like that since then," she says.

"Is he trustworthy? Does he look mysterious or something? What's his name? Does he make you feel uneasy? What's he like? Do you like him?" I wink. She shoots me a hard look. I resume a serious face instantly.

"You're acting protective again," she smiles.

"Mom, I can't help myself. You're the only one I have. So, I have to make sure you're in good hands that's all." I say as a matter of factly.

"Sweet Evans. You do care," she teases.

"Of course I do," I grumble. She smiles. I like to see her smiling. "So, tell me more about this producer."

She tells me his name is Aaron. He's older by three years. According to my mom's judgment on looks, he is a telltale for magazines. She must like him. I see it in her expressions as she tells me about him. She goes on and on. At a point, I ask her the names of the films and TV shows he has produced so that I can check them out. When we are done talking about him, she asks if I am okay with everything. My selfless mother. Always putting others before herself. I want her to be happy. I am grown and she doesn't have to always put me before herself.