||CHAPTER 21||

||KIMULI||

Omar has been sentenced to life in prison. It's what he deserved and perhaps more. There was no case to plead and to be honest, they wasted time taking the case to court. The evidence against him was hard enough to win him a chance to a reduced sentence or freedom.

They are taking him to a maximum prison in the city. Far away from his land. Somewhere he'll meet new and perhaps dangerous friends, frenemies and enemies. They'll help him pull through his miserable life if not make it more miserable. It's a pity that he has to spend the rest of his life in prison for disowning and dismantling what he should have protected with his life. Again, I am proved right. Common sense is not a flower that grows in everyone's garden. 'Cause if he had it, he could have made better choices.

Zawadi and her family are excited. It's pure freedom and justice for them. Salima can hardly contain her happiness. She has been hyper since they declared his sentence. Not that I can blame her. She has been longing for that to happen ever since she was mature enough to understand whatever was going on. Now she has it. All of it. And she can be happy however and whenever she pleases. There is no one to stop her.

Her boyfriend, Hussein, is a gentleman who has earned my respect in the few times we have spoken. I took my time to observe him when he was speaking to Salima earlier before the proceedings began. He treats her like a grown and independent woman. He also respects her so much I was left in awe. Though it still bothers me cause I know their relationship isn't completely pure. It's the overprotectiveness that's burning in me. She's seventeen and should not be allowed to know much. Especially grown-up people things. But we are living in the twenty-first century. These things happen. You need only have a sharp brain to know what is right and wrong, which she has. She's too clever for her age and it's very good.

"How can I repay you?" Fatima asks approaching me from a group of witnesses who testified in court.

"Maybe you can cook me your famous pilau," I respond. She smiles.

Zawadi made it at my place once. It was so delicious I couldn't stop eating. She said her mom taught her to make it but she has never made one that beat hers. Now that she has asked, I would want nothing more than to taste it and do a comparison.

"I'm not kidding. This is a very huge favour you've done for us," she says.

"I'm not kidding either. I want nothing save for a plate of your pilau and perhaps," I move closer and whisper, "permission to court your daughter," she chuckles.

She looks over to Zawadi who is busy speaking to Hussein. Beside them is a happy Salima speaking to a friend.

"Oh, about that. I'm thinking about saying no," she says feigning a serious tone.

"I'll steal her then," I say. She laughs. "Either way I'll have her," I add.

"Goodness," she utters rubbing her forehead. "As long as she is happy, you have my blessings," she says and my heart grins with happiness. Nothing means much than a parent's blessings on their children's relationships.

"Thank you," I appreciate. "I'll be a good man," I wink. She smacks my hand. "Ouch!"

She's a great woman with a big heart. And I am grateful to have her as Zawadi's mom. She couldn't have a better mother if not her.