20

20| Growing Pains

20| Growing Pains

Author's Note:
Hey, thank you for reading! This chapter is super long so pace yourself. Avan Jorgia is Cisco Ramon's faceclaim. 
___

Willow's mind wandered in the warm sunlight that Central City seemed to endlessly run on. Barry and she had lunch and were sunbathing on a boardwalk bench. Willow relaxed into Barry's shoulder, unbelievably happy in this little moment that they had for themselves. Barry had just asked her a harmless question about her parents, and Willow held in a soft breath, unsure how to answer him. She would end up giving him the short and sweet answer, the one that would satisfy his intrigue without getting too deep. She didn't want to burden him with her family drama.

" Why won't you answer her? " Barry shot casually at Willow, causing her to scoff at him, not entirely sure why she hadn't replied to her sister. It was complicated. She had gone to college against her younger sister's wishes, stayed even longer to get her bachelor's and then her doctorate and had gotten sick of every family outing turning into some kind of guilt fest.

" Maybe when I get back, Whinny likes to talk, like a lot. So, I'll need to spare up some time. " Willow looked up briefly to see Barry giving her a small all-knowing look, as his brows furrowed, she was sure he somehow knew otherwise. " And my parents are from a small country in Ukraine, they fled their country before I was born, " she paused, her thoughts lingering on a bit further, " actually if they had waited any longer, they wouldn't have been able to leave, and I would be there right now instead of here. " Willow's gaze became distant, she'd kept herself so busy for so long, it had been years since she'd said it out loud. " My parents started a flower shop, my father had always loved plants and flowers. I think it was because they made my mom so happy. "

Barry's fingers tightened around her shoulder and he pressed his lips into her temple. If things hadn't happened exactly the way did, Willow was sure she wouldn't have ever met Barry. She wouldn't have helped save him that first night they met, wouldn't have spent so much time together becoming friends, or felt such a deep love for a man who was still trying to figure out who he was supposed to be. In any multiverse, any random series of events, and everything that had happened to her-she was glad things had ended the way they did, because it let her start something new with someone incredible.

" Are we going to go to the beach? " Willow pressed her boyfriend for information and he nonchalantly shrugged, egging her on as she playfully elbowed him. " I've got something going on, maybe. We'll see. " Barry remained neutral and Willow sighed, a begrudging look passing over her face as she looked out past the pier and at the rolling waves. She had imagined the warm sand brushing against her feet and the foaming waves tracing her skin as the tide came in. It was like Barry had read her mind, as he straightened his posture some and cleared his throat.

" Why don't you move here? " An honest question, one that he didn't follow with a joke or a snide comment. Barry's brown eyes illuminated in the warm Central City sunlight, as he tried to read her for an honest answer.